30 c Evenings End

Oliver lay next to her soft slumbering figure. He lay curled behind her back, listening to her gentle breathing and soft stirrings. His fingers gently traced the outline of her shoulder. She felt better than he had ever imagined. Her skin was so soft and velvety, it felt heavenly under his hand.

He understood how difficult that night had been for her. He held her when she cried after their lovemaking. She was overcome. It was the first time she had been with anyone since she lost the baby. Since she left him.

Oliver had been patient, he knew that he had to be if he wanted to win this girl's heart. They had been friends for months now. He recalled the first night he first saw her again, at the end of the summer. It was another hospital theatres night out. He had decided to get horribly drunk and take home to his house-share whoever caught his fancy that night.

It was a glorious September night. One of those nights that stretches out endlessly. The group had decided to go skinny dipping. They told him that they knew of a spot and the group were moving from one cove to another. That was when he saw her, walking up the sand dune towards her cottage.

Oliver had to do a double take to make sure that it was really her. She was lost in her own thoughts, completely oblivious to his or anyone else's presence. Fiona jumped back in alarm when he called her name. Then she broke into the smile. That smile. She lit him up inside, when that beam was directed at him. Every time he thought of her he smiled. He was smiling now, looking down on her slumbering figure.

From their meeting in September until tonight they were just friends. Slowly and gradually she explained about the accident. She wept buckets when she told him about her being in treatment. Fiona explained that she was so scared that he wouldn't be her friend if he knew how mentally ill she had been at the time. It made him want her more, if that was at all possible.

They had agreed to be friends. Fiona admitted that she was still very messed up and not ready for any emotional entanglement. Oliver smiled as he recalled their conversation at Christmas when she confided that she hadn't been intimate with anyone since the accident.

That meant tonight was there first time in nearly eighteen months that she had been with a man. He allowed himself a congratulatory smile that it was him.

"Oliver can you go to the fridge and get a lemon?" Fiona opened her eyes.

"Cher?" There were times where his English wasn't as fluent as he wished. When he was angry, confused and when he hit his height of sexual pleasure, all were in French.

"So that you can bring it in here for me to suck to get the smile off of my face." Fiona smirked into the pillow. She was glad that her sexual famine had ended.

Oliver turned her over to face him. "Non. It would be for me. I am the happiest man on this or any other island right at this moment." He was. He knew he had to exorcise the ghost of David. He hoped tonight was it.

Fiona kissed him lightly. "I need to go and get a drink of water would you like me to get you one?"

Oliver nodded. Fiona found her red silk dressing gown on her bedroom floor and drew it round her. It had been a mini dress on Oliver and it drowned her. She laughed to herself about different in height between them, it was negated when he lay down, she reassured herself.

Fiona filled the tumblers with water. She looked out at the night and the stars. Fiona could see the moon and the stars are clearly as she could from the beach. She let her last thought go of David for the night. She wished him well and more happiness to come his way. She could now that she had some of her own to share.

She wanted to think of her future rather than continually pouring over her past. Oliver could be her future. He had been patient and kind. He waited until she was ready and that was special. Very special indeed.

"Fiona, please come back to the bed." Oliver called from Fiona's bed. "It is too cold without you."

"I will be there in a minute." She called to him. She blew two kisses to the sky. One for Joseph and one for David.

David lay awake wondering about Fiona, his girl, his lover. Where was she? How was she now. It was two years since their fortnight in Wales. It was over a year since she left. Somehow and somewhere he could feel her thinking about him. He felt it in his bones.

His thoughts made for a restless night. Try as he might he could not seek solace in sleep. He could not shake the thought of her. The ghost of her was here. The ghost of relationships past haunted his present.

Suzie had long drifted to sleep. She was delighted with her diamond earrings and the holiday to Bali. She told him that she would wait for him. She said that love was enough for her. The love he had was enough. He knew, and she knew, the love they had was different.

It was as though he had tasted the champagne of love with Fiona and now he only got to taste wine. Had he never tasted champagne he would have been content. Why couldn't he shake her.

He slowly and quietly left the bed. He pulled on a t shirt and boxers he found discarded on the floor and tip toed down the stairs. He grinned at Suzie's cleaning of the kitchen it was gleaming almost clinical.

He filled a glass with water and looked out to the February night sky and saw the stars twinkling at him. Were they the same stars she could see? Was she happy? He felt in his soul that she was better. He was glad and then suddenly the sadness engulfed him. If she was well why hadn't she come back to him.

He felt the arms around his waist as Suzie leant on his back.
"I will have one of those and then come back to bed lovely man." Suzie pulled David closer to her. "Let her go sweetheart. Let her go and be happy elsewhere. Let yourself be happy here with me." He turned into her embrace and drew her to him.
"I don't deserve you Suzie." He said factually.
"I know. Come back to my bed and make it up to me."
And he did.