3b.Hanging on the Telephone

After Fiona completed the 'family' shop she retired to her room. She placed REM Automatic for the People on her CD player and decided to write to her friends and family back home. The telephone downstairs in the hall rang. She was sure that a couple of the boys were in but no one was answering. No one from her family or friends knew her number so she was certain it wasn't for her. She started a letter to her best friend Heather at home.

Heather

I hope you are good. Thank you so much for the mix tape you made, I cried all the way to Carlisle and soaked my bra I cried that hard 

The phone rang again, rang off, rang again and rang off, rang again

She continued to write to Heather.

The house I am in is to die for, GeorgianTown House in Chelsea, who knew eh? A wee girl from Glasgow living in the lap of luxury

The phone rang again four more times. Fiona ran out on to the landing and shouted at the top of her voice "Phone!"

Three voices called back in unison, "I know!"

"Then answer the thing, it is sure as hell not for me." She still had the last remnants of her hangover rattling around and the constant phone ringing was getting on her last remaining nerve.

"No, it is against house rules!" David stood behind her dressed in a pair of rugby shorts. "Man you have a loud voice, are you always that loud? I should explain about the house phone." he yawned and stretched displaying his torso and six-pack.

"I am all ears." she raised her eyebrows trying hard to maintain eye contact with him. He looked like he had been stolen from the British Museum.

"Well, there are five very red-blooded males who live here." he gestured taking in the house.

"No shit Sherlock. I cannot tell you the amount of used condoms and tissues I have found lying around here it is like a Brothel on payday."

"We sometimes have lapses in judgment where we will give out the real house number to women we don't want to see again. They call and if no one answers they think that it is a wrong number." He ran his hand through his hair and gave out another loud yawn, Carla had really taken it out on him last night.

"OK, but what if it wasn't a mad bint on the phone? How would you know, what if it was a family emergency?"

"We have a system, which is if it is friends or family, they will ring the phone their allotted amount of times. It is two rings twice, then one for Dan, two for Emlyn and so on. My mother calls from Boston on a Thursday night, so we are pretty much straight."

"It is not 1974 it is 1994, had you ever thought of having an answering machine installed?" Fiona tried not to roll her eyes.

"Honey," David sighed, "I am from Boston, telecoms are WAY ahead in the states, however, Jilly will not spring for a machine and we like the system."

"I don't!"  Fiona said defiantly, "I am not going to see if on the sixth ring it is for me, my family and friends won't fall for that. You don't want to meet them pissed off." Fiona returned to her room and rummaged through her belongings.

"No, no, no! Don't you dare do it!" David shouted outside her door, "Don't do what I think you are going to do, you will upset the delicate balance of the house!"

"Stop me." she bolted past David and legged it down the stairs. He chased after her knocking on the others' room doors as he passed them.

"Guys! Guys! She has an answering machine and she means to use it!"