18 I Didn't Mean to

Boston

David finished his call with Fiona. Shame burned through him. He turned to the wall and took several deep breaths before putting the receiver back. He immediately felt like throwing up. He did it, he hurt the one person who he shouldn't have. He was thoroughly ashamed of himself. He turned around and found his mother looking at him.

"You look as though you have seen a ghost sweetheart, whatever is the matter?" Laura crossed the hall and cuddled him.

"Oh mom, I did something which I am not proud of. I hurt someone I care about." He looked thoroughly miserable.

"Oh baby, was it Fiona?  David, you only left her a month ago. I thought you were pretty set on her." Laura was sure from what she observed and what Eileen had told her that David was hook, line and sinker for the girl. Laura's voice became more stern. "Are you seeing Grace again?" His mother looked at him accusingly.

"Mom! Are you psychic or something?" David met her gaze. He was astonished that she knew.

"Oh son, you are just like your father, an open book, I saw you with Grace yesterday when she was leaving the guesthouse and I knew she had stayed over." she stared up at David, "Now let's go into the kitchen and you can tell me all about it over tea."

They walked together into the bright kitchen. David's mother made tea, as he gazed into space, trying to process everything that had happened in the last week. He could not believe that he had seen Grace again.

David had to attend a hospital benefactors evening with the other Emergency Room staff that were not on duty. As with all of these types of functions he detested it. He was chatting to one of his mother's friends when he heard a voice behind him.

"Paging Dr Williams, old flame to catch up with!" He spun around to see Grace in the tightest red dress he had ever seen, her long blonde hair swaying around her shoulders.

"Grace! My God, what the hell are you doing here?" he embraced her and kissed her cheek. She looked amazing.

"I am heading up a merger of the two IT companies that supply a good portion of your research budget here, so I thought I would see where the company dollars are going." Grace beamed. She omitted to tell David that she had seen David in the hospital canteen several weeks before and she had arranged for them to bump into each other tonight.

"Hey, you look amazing! How long are you in town for?" David asked as he embraced her. Grace had not changed one single bit.  Her body looked as if she had stolen it from Elle McPherson.

"Oh, eight weeks I think, you? Have you moved back?" Grace replied kissing David on the cheek and leaving a blood red stain from her lipstick. She made sure to claim him before anyone else in the room made their move. She noted that David looked better with age. His boyish looks turned more rugged.

"No, I am here for another four months and then back to Blighty for me." David laughed. He mentally focussed on Grove Road and Fiona lying in her bed naked to push any temptation from his mind.

"Ah, back to the Ball and Chain? Someone must have snapped you up good and proper!" Grace flirted. She took all of him in. No matter what the answer was she was going to have him in her bed tonight.

"Well, yes and no. I am seeing someone very special but nothing official, you?" David could see the signals Grace was giving off. It was dangerous. He decided that after the meal he was getting out of there pronto.

"Well, just had my second divorce.." Grace answered coyly.

"Second? You like the taste of Wedding Cake or something?" David blurted out.