15 He's leaving home

The Saturday before Fiona and David left for Wales and David left for Boston, Fiona insisted that the lads all have a night out together. It gave her the time and space she needed to create the mixtapes for their trip and the ones she would give David for his journey.

She needed to process her emotions. She had to admit her snowballing feelings to herself and somehow contain them until David's return in August. It was a delicious agony that she needed to prepare herself for.

Fiona had planned some tapes for driving, a mixtape for getting it on and some for David to keep him company in Boston. She knew the two weeks would be amazing. A time for them both to discover one another. She looked forward to it and dreaded it at the same time.

Fiona prepared herself for a call from one of the lads to ferry them home in her mini. Sure enough at 2 am the house phone rang off the hook until she answered it.

"Babe, please, I am at backpackers at Kings Cross, we are all monged. Dan has fallen and cut his hands on some broken bottles, just grazes." David stifled a hiccup. "We are in the kebab shop across the way from the club PLEASE come there are no cabs."

"Are you all there? It will take two trips babe." she yawned looking round for a coat and shoes.

"Just come and I will make it all up to you later," he giggled, "in the bedroom, with the sex." He had been thinking about her and being with her all night. He had endured two hours of the lads complaining about him making moon faces whenever one of them brought up the subject of Fiona.

Fiona sighed, "Great news! I will be there in 15 minutes. Don't move and for heaven's sake and don't get into any trouble." she shook her head and laughed.

She scoured the coat stand and took David's Berghaus waterproof and threw it over her pyjamas whilst slipping on her gazelles. His coat smelled of him. It was as though she had wrapped herself in him. She hatched a plan to hide it from him tomorrow so he would have to pack another coat and she could keep this for the lonely days ahead.

The roads were deserted and she was able to reach Kings Cross in ten minutes. She drove through Chelsea, passed via South Kensington, she passed the Victoria and Albert, Harrods and then Buckingham Palace. She marvelled at how beautiful London was at night and how lucky she was to live in such a beautiful city.

She drove through Hyde Park Corner and rounded on to Euston Road looking out for her turning to the kebab shop. She parked outside and went in to find Dan, Richard and Emlyn asleep, Bill was feeding pieces of kebab to his ear and David was sitting grinning at her.

"Shall we get the little ones to bed then?" she laughed.

"I know it is illegal, but do you think we can all squeeze in the car? David slurred his words. He looked drunk as a monkey. He swayed back and forth on his feet.

"Its not a clown mobile David! I don't want to be ferrying you back and forward though, Bill is bigger than you, so the way I see it, you and Dan go in the back. Put Emlyn and Richard on your laps and Bill can sit in the front with me, help me wake them up."

"Lads Fi is here, you three with me in the back, Bill in the front!" David clapped his hands and chided them into the car. There was a round of "Nice one." As they all raised themselves from their self-induced comas.

Fiona marveled at how easily she got them all in the car and how quickly they all fell asleep as soon as she drove onto Euston Road.

The snoring was a cacophony so she put on her radio. Tinsel Town in the Rain by the Blue Nile played as she drove through the empty roads, happy in the moment, savouring them all being together for that moment, albeit most of them unconscious.