38.Lasting Christmas

David pulled up to Bill and Heather's home with a full car and an empty heart. He took a deep breath in to gather himself and collected all of his bags. As he turned to secure his car he saw Fiona tearing up the road in her mini. When Bill invited David over for Christmas, he told him that Fiona would there. Apparently, Heather and Bill were holding a drop-in centre for the dumped and divorced.

David could not go skiing with Emlyn as he had on calls to complete between Christmas and New Year. Emlyn booked to go with a group of his friends from work. There was a spare bed which he thought would be great for David.

It would have been ideal, spending Christmas focussed on nothing more than standing up in the snow. So much better than the thoughts and feelings churning inside him.

David waited until Fiona parked the car and walked over to help her with her bags. She looked flustered. Strangely, the car looked to be rocking from side to side. He hoped she hadn't brought that young stud he saw her with last time.

That was at Richard's 40th birthday party. She looked as good as ever. Suzie clung on to David for most of the night, as she had found out about Fiona and Oliver's split.

Richard's party was great. Held at The Ivy in Chelsea. The topic of the night was Fiona's newfound cougar status. Suzie was agog as Nikki informed her that the athletic young gorgeous man at the bar was Fiona's man of the moment. David found it amusing. He could see that Fiona was deep down miserable. They only spoke briefly, understanding that a long conversation would mean Suzie erupting.

The continued rocking of the car snapped David out of his revelry. He was unsure how to check it out. Then he saw a flash of what looked like a dog's tail.

David tapped on her car window and Fiona nearly jumped out of her skin. "Fuck Boston I nearly wet myself!" As she spoke a large boxer dog lunged at the window and pawed at David.

"Hey, buddy! Who are you?" David laughed as the dog turned the car into complete chaos. Presents and bags of food were strewn over the back seat as the dog jumped to greet him.

"He is what I got in the divorce! Bailey for fuck's sake calm down!" Fiona shouted, grabbing bags away from the chaos as quickly as she could.

David laughed heartily as he watched Fiona struggle. He walked around to the passenger side and let the offending animal out. Fiona passed him the lead as she collected herself.

"You got the dog for you?" David asked. he could not recall Fiona ever saying that she was a dog lover. Looking at her now, she was barely coping.

"Oliver got the dog when we were going through 'the issue' to keep the kids happy. I was dead against it. Then would you believe that the idiot loves me? When Oliver moved in with Alice and Sebastian, the dog would not settle. Pined for me. So believe it or not now I am lumbered with the idiot. By that, I mean the dog, not Oliver. "

"I got that, shit time huh?" David sympathised. He patted Bailey. He took in Fiona as she bent over to retrieve her things. She looked great.

"Shit for everyone really, worse for the kids to be honest. They cried their hearts out this afternoon when I handed them over for the Christmas break... " Fiona looked away to gather herself. She inwardly scolded herself for tearing up.

"Well if we are sharing shit Christmas stories three weeks ago my wife left me for a stable lad who is only twenty. Today, I found out that the reason. She is pregnant after 10 years of trying with me and only once with the stable lad, who looks after her horses at her parents' place."

Fiona looked at David incredulously and promptly burst into giggles. He looked so upset at telling her. He looked crestfallen at telling her the most ridiculous thing she had heard for a long time.