12 Christmas Time

Christmas Day

David woke up and stretched across the bed to find Suzie for a Christmas cuddle. He felt the bed cold next to him and he let out a sigh. She was probably out for a run ahead of driving to the Cotswolds to spend Christmas Day with her parents.

He knew Suzie was looking for an engagement ring for Christmas. He could tell from her not so subtle hints. Dragging him to look in jewellers windows, leaving magazines open at pages with engagement rings. Perhaps the most direct, was showing him all her friends' engagement rings at the endless dinner parties he attended.

Last night,Christmas Eve, he spent at Suzie's best friend Emma's house, where the women talked endlessly about upcoming Weddings and the men did their best to avoid the subject entirely. At midnight they had gone to Mass and then home to open their presents. Suzie had bought him a set of platinum cufflinks from Theo Fennell and he bought her a diamond necklace.

Suzie's face lit up when she saw a Tiffany's box. However, she regained her composure when she discovered a necklace instead of a ring. David loved his cufflinks and decided to buy shirts that he could use them with. They made love. Afterwards, Suzie lay with her head on David's chest running her fingers through his chest hair.

"David, do you think we will ever get married?" she asked directly.

"Why babe are you asking?" he laughed, trying to lighten what he knew would be an intense discussion.

"No," she said firmly, "I am never going to ask you or any man I meet. That would be a terrible story for any child to hear about their parents don't you think?"

"Eh, well I never really gave it a lot of thought before..."

"Well, I think you should give it some thought David and I would like you to make your mind up by Easter." Suzie raised herself up on her elbow.

"Message received." David laughed and went  to kiss her. She placed her finger over his lips and stopped him.

"I am going home for Christmas and I will be spending time with two of my ex-boyfriends. Both who offered to marry me and none of which I did."

"Ok." David said slowly, measuring his words carefully, "Unfortunately I am working, so I can't be there to fend off potential suitors. I understand that you will not be waiting for me forever. Suzie, I am not the type of guy who would mess a woman around and I don't intend to with you." He placed his hand on the back of her neck and drew him to her. They kissed and made love a second time before they both fell asleep.

David stirred with his alarm and called out her name, with no response forthcoming he went to the bathroom to run a shower. He had to be at work in thirty minutes, which gave him five minutes for a shower and shave before taking his motorcycle from Shepherds Bush to Chelsea which in today's traffic would be less than fifteen minutes. David ran downstairs to find the house empty and a note from Suzie pinned to the kettle.

Got up, couldn't sleep, you could though. Didn't want to wake you. Merry Christmas, gone to Mummy and Daddy's see you on the 27th S x

David shook his head. Suzie, the least gushing woman he had ever been with. He found that strangely a turn on. He got ready and made for the Hospital.

When he got there he found A&E completely empty. The  waiting room had even got Christmas Crackers still unopened. The regular homeless people were placed in the beds to make sure they got a Christmas Dinner. He walked into the staff room and found everyone watching TV.

"The London News Crews are upstairs with the Christmas Babies." Bill pointed out, "Fiona has been on already and they are cutting back to her about 9 when the Salvation Army is in and Father Christmas is giving out the pressies."