20 a Bittersweet Symphony

Heather was waiting in the reception area of Gleneagles Hotel. It was a country house with several golf courses set in the grand and spectacular Perthshire countryside. Heather was looking forward to seeing Bill. She hadn't seen him for a fortnight and that was way too long.

She had it bad. Very bad. Until Bill she had liked men. Heather had a few relationships but nothing to compare to this. Heather found the waiting to see him unbearable. For more than one reason too.

She knew both Fiona and Bill were travelling up together in a hire car and that they had experienced a typical day of road hell in the UK. She had received several calls from them on the journey, mostly Bill swearing about road works and shite drivers. They had set off at 9 30 am and had expected to be in Perthshire at 4 pm, however, it was now 6 pm.

The plan for the wedding guests was, to arrive late afternoon, have tea, then either play a round of golf or go to the spa. Afterwards, there was an evening meal with the bridal party before early to bed, ahead of the big day on Saturday.

Heather spent the afternoon in the spa, she knew that Fiona was really looking forward to the relaxation ahead of the trauma of seeing both David and Paul. 

Heather's heart leapt as she saw a car arrive. It dropped when she saw David get out. He smiled at her broadly and jogged up the path with his luggage. He dropped his bags and gave her a bear hug. 

Despite her better judgement, she cuddled him back, inwardly chastising herself for not giving him sheer hell for treating Fiona so badly. He was a total idiot, however, he was Bill's best friend. Bill had told Heather that David had called him and confessed that he was beside himself for hurting Fiona. However, Heather had to make sure that she administered some kind of punishment on him. David was not getting back in her good books for at least a decade.

David released her from the hug. "Heather, wow, you look totally amazing! So long since I saw you? Man, let's go get a drink and you can bust my balls. I can plead for your forgiveness and then we can have a good time." David grinned at Heather. Bill was smitten with this girl and he understood why. "Is Fiona here yet?"

"Wanker."Heather punched him hard in the arm and smiled broadly. "Fiona is stuck in traffic with Bill, I have been here on my own all afternoon. Now buy me a drink." Heather grimaced, "Mind you, I am worried about those two, it is two hours since they crossed the border and I would have expected them now."

"Friday night traffic, I flew into Edinburgh and it was a nightmare, Heather." David sighed, he turned to reception and booked himself in and pocketed his key with his luggage going up to his room.

"Oh, I forgot about the rush hour on Fridays." Heather mused. "Ok, you can take me to the bar, but don't think for one minute that I have forgiven you or have come anywhere near liking you." Heather laughed. For a complete idiot he was quite likeable, however, Heather was not cracking. There was no doubt why he had most of London chasing him for more. Fiona would have to be careful if she was going to keep her resolution to not boff him this weekend.

Heather and David walked into the large bar area and found Paul with Gillian sat facing the entrance. Heather spoke loudly to David. "So, I suppose you are desperate to see her then?" she gazed at Paul and Gillian and back to David. Giving him the queue to act the part that Fiona had given him.

"Oh God, yeah, I haven't seen her for nearly six months, it is going to be magical! I am just gutted she is not here at the moment." David sighed dramatically for effect. "Anyway, I have been a very bad lad and done something she might kill me for!" he turned to the barman and ordered beers for them both.

"A lemonade for me David, I am too nervous about them not making it, neither of them are good drivers. What the hell have you done now? Shagged the bride?" Heather said through gritted teeth keeping up the facade for Paul and Gillian.