Cry Baby Cry

General

Entering the building with the little girl in his arms, definitely earned Paul a lot of strange looks.  

"Picking up Birds, eh' Paulie?" John Smirked.  

"Oh sod off, Lennon! I found the poor thing snifflin' behind me car. She's freezin'!" George stood up from where he had been sitting, between Brian and Ringo to look at the little girl.  

"She seems ta really like ye' already!" The little girl clung to Paul's shirt and rested her head on his shoulder, staring up at George. He went to put his hand on her forehead to check for a fever, but she flinched away and whimpered.  

"Poor thing! She scared to even be touched!" Ringo yelled from across the room. Paul walked over to an empty chair next to John's and sat down, holding the young girl in his lap. John made a funny face at her and she giggled, hiding her face in Paul's chest.  

"Eh, won' even let me touch er' But she's all over Paul!" George whined and lit a cigarette, puffing smoke out of his mouth. John snickered. "Typical Birdy, ay' Geo?" George socked John in the arm and laughed. John took the girl out of Paul's arms and held her in his own. Paul felt a pang of jealousy. He wasn't sure why though. After all, he had just found this little girl on the streets and brought her here, into the warmth. It's not like they had any kind of emotional connection. He cleared his throat and stared down at her.  

"What should we umm... Do with er'?" John scoffed and tickled her, waiting for Brian to leave the room.  

"I say we keep er'!" He responded as soon as Brian had gone.  

"Have ye' got a name, darling?" Ringo asked the Blonde Toddler. She nodded and seemed to have gained a new, random boost of confidence, speaking loudly this time and bouncing in John's lap.  

"My name's Annie. That's short for Annabelle!" John had to hold her down to keep her from jumping off his lap.  

"That's a beautiful name, love." Paul stated and picked her up again, putting the jacket back over her.  

"I think 'm going to bring er' back to the hotel tonight, and look for er' mum and da tomorrow." John nodded and stood up, ruffling the girls loose blonde curls. 

"G'night Annie! C'mon lads, the pub won't be open all night!" He motioned for the other men to follow him, and they disappeared out the door. Annabelle seemed confused to why the other men were leaving. Paul picked her up and she giggle, clingging to him as he headed out the door with her in his arms.