Mind That Hates

Paul

When we got to Jane's house, I got Annie out and held her in my arms. Speaking softly, and gently, I explained to her that we were going out to dinner with Jane.

"Annie, please be nice tonight? Jane didn't do anything to you!" After I had told her, she refused to speak to me once again. I ignored it and hopped up the stairs to Jane's front door. Knocking, I took a deep breathe and waited for her to answer. When she finally did, she smiled widely. I looked up and my eyes widened. Jane looked stunning!

"Wow Jane. You look...uh.." I stuttered and she grinned.

"Gorgeous? Beautiful? Amazing? Perfect? The list goes on and on.." Jane chuckled and I nodded.

"Yes. All of those things actually." Annie made a gagging noise and I glanced down at her, laughing.

"Shush, you! One day, years to come you'll actually know of other boys than Julian. Then you'll fall in love!" She shook her head and scrunched her tiny nose up.

"Nuuh!" She treated the word 'boys' as if the word itself had cooties. Jane and I laughed and she invited us in. Annie frowned and sat with her arms crossed, not speaking to either of us. When Jane got Joey ready to leave, we drove to the restaurant together.

When we arrived and were seated, Jane decided to try and make small talk.

"I really like your dress Annie! It's color is pretty!" Annie glared at Jane and nodded.

"Thank you! My daddy picked it out for me. It's lovely, isn't it?" She spoke quietly, putting emphasis on 'My Daddy' to make it clear that I was hers and no one else's. I frowned at Annie and stood up.

"Excuse us Jane." Lifting Annie up from behind, I walked outside with her in my arms.

"Annabelle Mary McCartney! What has gotten into ye'? Jane's trying to be nice! You didn't even give her a chance!" I yelled angrily. Annie looked up at my like a sad, lost puppy and I could tell she was on the verge of tears.

"But when you marry Jane, you'll never have time for me!" I shook my head and lifted her back into my grasp.

Annie started to cry and I rocked her back and forth. After she calmed down a little she rested her head on my shoulder and I kissed her forehead.

"I'm not even dating her, love! I'm not getting married!" I smiled kindly at her.

"And no matter what, you'll always be me little girl. My Annabelle! I'll always have time for you, darling! Even when I don't have the time, I'll make it! I love you Annie." I wiped the tears off of her chubby cheeks and she smiled.

"I love you too Daddy." Annie wrapped her hands around my neck, and I sighed as I began to walk back inside. That 'I love you too Daddy' made me long for her to stay a baby forever. I don't think I'll ever accept my over curious, funny, loud, bubbly, chubby cheeked, Annie growing up. In My eyes, she'll always be the little girl who never could understand why babies didn't have teeth, or couldn't make her letters correctly, who wanted icecream for dinner on many occasions, and would wear a bright pink princess dress every day if she had the chance. And that will never change.

"There you are!" Jane smiled and I saw a slight smile come from Annie as well.

"Can we get icecream after dinner?" She looked up at me and I nodded. Annie looked over at Jane and Smiled wider. "All of us."