Chapter 20. Final chapter.

A/N all right here we go guys. The final chapter. Buckle your seat belts this might be an emotional ride.

~previously~

The last thing you heard was everyone screaming, but the scream that really stood out was Esmerie's. "Mommy! No!"

~back to the present moment~

As you prepared yourself for the pain that was coming your way the world began to slow down. You clenched your fist and shut your eyes as tight as you possibly could. You were ready for it. You were prepared, but after a few minutes that felt like days nothing came. Everything around you was silent. Out of the two shots that were fired not a single one hit you. You opened your eyes not ready to see what it was that was hit and that's when you heard Levi scream. Your eyes blasted open at that scream and you seen Esmerie laying on the ground hovered down beside Jean. You ran towards them both to see Jean laying on the ground holding onto his bleeding arm and holding onto Esmerie. "I tried to protect her (y/n), but I was too late." Jean said chocking up on his tears. You fell to your knees tears streaming out of your eyes as you seen Esmerie bleeding out of her stomach passed out. Jean removed his hand from Esmerie's stomach to reveal the wound. You dropped down on her crying. "It was suppose to hit me not her or you." You cried sitting open and opening up your button up shirt that revealed a bullet proof vest you had made. Jeans eyes widen at you shocked. "You knew what he was going to do?" Jean asked you. You shook your head no at him. "No I was just prepared for the worst." You said to him still crying. Hanji rushed towards you and Esmerie. You looked up at her with tears in your eyes. "Help her please." You said to her. Hanji nodded at you with sad eyes as someone picked Esmerie up and rushed with hanji to the infirmary.

You started to get up and helped Jean up as you were at it. That's when you took the chance to look over at Levi handcuffed and a look of pure shock and terror an his face. Though it looked as if he had just woke up from something. There were tears running down his eyes. He wasn't struggling he was just cooperating with confusion. There was something wrong that you couldn't tell what it was. "(Y/n)?" You heard Jean say as you quit looking at Levi and looked at Jean. "Yes?" You asked him as you started walking to the infirmary. "You know we are safe now right? He can't get you. Your fine." Jean assured you. You nodded at him and faked a smile looking at Levi once more. It wasn't you were scared of him escaping them it was this feeling you had in your stomach that upset you looking at him. It was like after everything you still wanted him, but not like how it was. It was difficult for you to explain. As you were looking at Levi he looked at you with a genuine sorry look and then fainted. You looked away from him and walked to the infirmary with Jean. When you got there they took Jean from you as you watched Armin run towards him freaking out and as for you, you went to find Esmerie. When you got there you seen her laying on the bed with a mask over her providing her air. You walked over to her and sat beside her holding onto her hand. "It was a brave thing you did Esmerie, but I need you to do something else brave for me. I need you to live." You told her crying as you layed your head on the bed gripping her hand.

Esmerie's eyes started opening up as she gripped your hand back. You looked up at her and a smile appeared on your face and hers as well. "What made you think you could just jump in front of that bullet like that?" You questioned Esmerie who looked upset. She took off her mask and looked at you for a moment. "It was the least I could do for you mommy. After all those times I was such a jerk to you jumping in front of a bullet for you didn't seem to bad. It always seemed like I deserved it." Esmerie told you. There were tears forming in your eyes as you hugged Esmerie. "Oh baby you didn't deserve it all. I love you so much and I always will, but I'm the mom so next time I take the bullet." You said to her cracking a smile and wiping the tears off her eyes. You kissed her cheek smiling. "Now you need some rest. I have to go explain a few things to the others so you rest up." You said to Esmerie. She nodded her head and closed her eyes falling asleep. You took one last look at her before exiting the room.