Prologue

"I'm Niall" a voice sounded
from in front of me.

I looked up, with a pout on my face and tears in my eyes. I had no friends to push me on the swing and I was too short to reach the ground and push myself. No one wanted to be my friend and I didn't know why. My sister refused to play with me, saying that she had other friends to play with and that I was no fun. So, everyday, I sat on the swing and starred at the other kids playing, sometimes, the girls would push me off of the swing and giggle at me.

"I'm Liara" I said, but it came out in a soft, almost unheard voice.

He had a shiny brown hair, pale skin and bright blue eyes. He was tall for his age. In a way, I felt intimidated by him, because he just stood there, towering over my too-small-for-my-age body and starred at me. Then, he rounded me and stood behind me. Suddenly, the swing was pushed forward, resulting in my jerking backwards, but I caught myself before I fell. Then, I realized he was pushing me, because my legs looked like they were close to reach the sky and my hair was flying everywhere. I squealed as he pushed me higher. The smile made its own way to my face.

"Higher!" I screamed while laughing.

He did as I requested and pushed me so high, I felt like I was on the top of the whole world. An hour later, he was still pushing me and I was still laughing like there was no tomorrow. It was like he drove the happiness that I missed right into my heart. His pushes slowed down till he stopped my swing. I was still smiling happily. I looked behind me and saw him smiling softly at me. I grinned at him and reached my hand out. He shook it while he grinned back at me.

"Thank you, Niall. Now, it's your turn, I'll push you" I said to him.

Fear filled his eyes as he rapidlly shook his head. "N-no".

My eyes fell. I nodded at him wordlessly. I jumped from the swing, my feet making a small thud-sound when it came in contact with the sand bellow. I turned around, facing him. I gave him a big smile, hoping to lighten up the mood again.

"Wanna go and eat ice cream?" I asked him.

His smile returned to his fave as he nodded. "Okay".

We started our way to the ice cream carriage. Both of us quiet, not saying a word. My mind wondered if that meant that he became my friend, so I decided to ask him. "Are we friends, Niall?"

He smiled. "Of course" then, he held my hand.

I looked at him questioningly. "My dad always holds his girl friends' hands".

I nodded as I clutched his hand. "How old are you?" I asked.

"Eight" he simply answered.

My eyes lightened up, because we were the same age, but then, realization dawned upon me and disappointment filled me. "Oh, so you're starting third grade?"

"Umm... no, I'm starting second grade, because I was held a year for family reasons... umm, how old are you?"
I beamed at him. "I'm eight too! And I'm like you, I was held a year because mommy fell sick at the hospital".

"Awesome! Then, that means that we'll be in the same class, I'll introduce you to my friends, Monica and Lou".

I was excited at the idea of having more friends. We reached the ice cream carriage. His head reached the counter while mine... didn't, wasn't even close to reaching it. The girl behind the counter smiled warmly at us.

"What do you want, kids?" She asked, adoration in her big blue eyes.

"Strawberry flavoured ice cream" I spoke first, then looked at Niall.