Chapter 36

"Thank you for staying and helping me." I said as I gripped the door's handle tightly in my hand.

His eyes fluttered close as a warm smile overcame his lips. "How many times have you thanked me?" He whispered, a sleeping Xander in his arms.

I was so focused on his lips that I didn't notice him opening his eyes and catching me drooling over him.

"Liara?" He called, smirking.

I flinched and looked up. Realizing that I was caught, I laughed it off. "Sorry, I think the wine got me.".

"Sure." He grinned.

'Damn it, it's that smile again' I thought.

"Well, I'll see you on Thursday. Don't forget to report to me on Monday, okay?" I said in my professional voice.

"Of course, Miss Honal." He stated and slowly leaned in towards me.

His nose caressed my cheeks, causing me to forget how to breathe right. "Have I told you, you look beautiful?" He whispered, his warm breath touching my skin, pleasuring it.

"N-no." I whispered back.

His nose caressed the way back to where mine was. It playfully hit it lightly.

Next thing I knew?

His lips were playing with mine.

***

"Did you really hire Niall Horan?" Lily whispered to me as my father stood on the stage and gave his famous speech about poverty.

Gulping nervously, I nodded wordlessly.

"Dad is so mad, Liara." She sang lowly and pursed her lips.

"It's none of his business." I stated as I frowned at her.

"Try telling him that." She said and shrugged.

"Not gonna do that. I'm an adult, I don't have to explain myself." I whispered and refocused my eyes on my father.

A fake smile was plastered on his face. If that what money and fame would do to me, I'd drop it... but I thought that the heart did play a role in someone's life.

It was hard for me to understand. To say the least, I was sure physics was easier than what I was trying to understand. How did my dad turn like this?

I might've lived with him a solid 16 years if not less, but I had no idea who he really was.

"The guy broke your heart plenty of times, why would you bring him back into your life?" I was about to inturrept her, but she spoke. "I know, I know, it's only professional, but still, that doesn't mean that your heart won't ache everytime you see him.".

'Huh, what would she say if she knew I got intimate with him while his son slept in the living room?' I thought.

"Plus, I had heard that he has a son, so that must be double the pain." She sighed.

I stayed silent. Arguing with her was pointless because she has never been in my shoes, nor she ever will.

I felt a tug on my black dress shirt. I looked down to see Archer starring up at me.

"Yes, honey?" I said, smiling down at him.

And damn it, did he look so much like Archer my brother. They had the same eye color, vibrant blue, the same hair color, a cool shade of blonde, the same shape of lips, the same nose and the same chin.

'Now that what makes my heart ache' I thought.

"Can I sit with you?" He asked and I nodded quickly.