The Sister

Third Person P.O.V.

Harry watched as a new pair of heels walked up to the table followed by four black paws. 

Then a new voice spoke, "Hey, Rosmerta, I was wondering if- hey what's wrong with everybody?"

"Hello, m'dear, please sit," Fudge said thickly. 

There was the sound of a chair being pulled up and then she spoke again, "So, what's going on?"

"We were just talking about your parents and Sirius Black, Bella," said Professor McGonagall.

"Oh, yeah, I guess that story can get very emotional," Bella said.

"Well, there you have it, Rosmerta," said Fudge. "Black was taken away by twenty members of the Magical Law Enforcement Squad and Pettigrew received the Order of Merlin, First Class, which I think was some comfort to his poor mother. Black's been in Azkaban ever since."

From Harry's spot under the table it looked as if every muscle in Bella's body had gone rigid.

Madam Rosmerta let out a long sigh. "Is is true he's mad, Minister."

"No," Bella cut in curtly.

"I wish I could say that he was," said Fudge slowly. "I certainly believe his master's defeat unhinged him for a while. The murder of Pettigrew and all those Muggles was the action of a cornered and desperate man - cruel...pointless. Yet I met Black on my last inspection of Azkaban. You know, most of the prisoners in there sit muttering to themselves in the dark; there's no sense in them...but I was shocked at how normal Black seemed. He spoke quite rationally to me. It was unnerving. You'd have thought he was merely bored - asked if I'd finished with my newspaper, cool as you please, said he missed doing the crossword. Yes, I was astounded at how little effect the debenture seemed to be having on him - and he was one of the most heavily guarded in the place, you know. Dementors outside his door day and night.

"But what do you think he's broken out to do?" said Madam Rosmerta. "Good gracious, Minister, he isn't trying to rejoin You-Know-Who, is he?"

The dog that had came in with Bella, who was now laying at her feet, growled lowly. Bella nudged him with her heel to quiet him.

"I daresay that is his - er - eventual plan," said Fudge evasively. "But we hope to catch Black long before that. I must say, You-Know-Who alone and friendless is one thing...but give him back his most devoted servant, and I shudder to think how quickly he'll rise again..."

There was a small chink of glass on wood. Someone had set down their glass.

"You know, Cornelius, if you're dining with the headmaster, we'd better head back up to the castle," said Professor McGonagall.

One by one, the pairs of feet in front of Harry took the weight of their owners once more; hems of cloaks swung into sight, and Madam Rosmerta's glittering heels disappeared behind the bar followed by Bella's black ones. Madam Rosmerta asked Bella what she wanted. The door of the Three Broomsticks opened again, there was another flurry of snow, and the teachers had disappeared.

"Harry?"

Ron's and Hermione's faces appeared under the table. They were both staring at him, lost for words.