Chapter 11

{Picture of Rachel on top}

Kids ran past me in a rush towards the kitchen, probably hoping to have a taste of dessert before everyone else. Little yelps and the sound of dishes smashing followed, obviously the cooks weren't enthusiastic about young werewolves trampling the soufflé.

The children were the only ones enjoying themselves, playing with each other and stuffing there faces we as much food as possible. Their poor parents were so exhausted from chasing them and squeezing them into their formal attire before the feast they gave up on proper behaviour halfway through the main course. Pups were of course little wolves, constantly breaking and eating anything within their claws reach. Still, with all the pains of being a parent, a certain charm rang about it I couldn't quite shake, I mean they are absolutely adorable and I just want to protect them. Probably just my maternal instincts talking.

While the children were creating havoc in the kitchen a vacuum of silence fell upon the pack house as the adults awkwardly stood or sat waiting for something to happen. The Red Druid pack kept to themselves only speaking in hush whispers to each other, Hunter was currently in the midst of a serious conversation with our Alpha. Before I could investigate further and hear what they were discussing a familiar face blocked my path.

"Aspen!" Jayden called out and as usual lacked any sense of etiquette going for a bear hug. He wrapped his arms around me and squeezed, my feet left the ground for a few moments because of the height difference and the fact it seemed I weighed nothing to him. Just before my bones were about to be crushed Jayden released me, he had the most loveable grins ever on.

"I'm so happy to see you again." He gushed, I think he may of had a bit to much wine. "Clearly."

"We should go see the others, I'm sure they'll be thrilled to see you!"

"No that's not really neces-Woah!" Interrupting my excuse Jayden grabbed my hand and dragged me through a sea of people towards what will surely be a very long headache.

Edging closer to our destination I saw Alex and Dimitri talking to each other by the couch, they looked relaxed and dare I say, normal. Like they don't murder entire packs and use fallen Alpha's bones as toothpicks. Just average males laughing and having a good time.

Stumbling to a stop I straightened myself before being confronted by two new pairs of eyes. Alex was the first to talk.

"Aspen, it's nice to see you are doing well this evening." Dimitri nodded in agreement while Jayden just stood there smirking like a mad man.

"Yes, we're so glad you came, not that you had a choice or anything because if you didn't then Hunter would find you and force you to come back with us and then destroy your pack, killing everyone you love- am I rambling I sometimes do when I drink too much but hey doesn't matter anyways since this is probably not news to you, am I right guys!" Jayden laughed his words coming out fast and slurred like his brain was in overdrive but his mouth couldn't keep up.

The others seemed pissed off by Jayden and ready to send him down the river, but he was right, this wasn't news to me, I knew exactly how'd things go down if I chose to run. Still hearing it out loud is a little unnerving to say the least.

Surprisingly Dimitri looked like Jayden just spat in his face, I didn't think he actually cared about me. My stomach filled with warmth by the notion of Dimitri's loyalty. Wait! I shouldn't care if they like me or not, it's not like I'm actually going to be their Luna or anything. For all I care they could despise me and want my body rotting 6 feet in the dirt... right?