Chapter 20

Jordan took me to see Rachel right away after I started to have a minor heart attack. Either she took me now without any property damage or I would rip the house from its foundation to find my best friend.

Wandering down the hallways took what seemed like ages. My heart sped up a little as time drew painful on; afraid this was all just a cruel joke and I truly was the last surviving member of my pack. I've never been an overly trusting person, even saying I love you' to anyone is putting too much faith in someone. Casting my heart in the open like that is too risky; they're like birds in a cage. If you let it out it may soar amongst the clouds or be ripped apart by a hungry cat. I couldn't take that chance.

While walking down the main hallway Jordan unconsciously slowed down and glanced nervously at a rather menacing path with a large double door at the end. Her eyes feared, yet praised it like a Aztec god. As if whatever lies behind that door may be the packs salvation or doom.

It radiated an authority, like the door to the principle's office that everyone want to avoid going through. Yet I felt a certain pull towards the door, as if invisible strings began to tug my body closer. In a trance I drifted nearer, trying to unmask this mysterious desire.

Instantly Jordan was upon me, grasping my hand. She looked at me the way a mother would look at their child caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

"Rachel's not that way." Her statement was blunt and her eyes were scoping our surroundings, as if we were criminals in a jewelry shop. She just wanted to move on.

Longingly I glanced at the door, an unsatisfied hunger grumbled within me. It stirred in my stomach like a hive of buzzing bees.

"What's in that room?" I asked pointing down the long corridor to the innocent looking entryway.

"It's Alpha's bedroom. He doesn't like people going into it." Jordan whispered like if she said his name too loud Hunter would appear.

A small part of me did want him to appear. I hated him in every way possible but not as well. Like no matter how much hate I try to plaster over this strange emotion it still shines through like ugly wallpaper. I didn't mean for him to affect me so much but he did, even the smallest things impacted my heart just a little.

I just wanted to know more about this monster who has entrapped me.

"Why?"

"I'm not sure, he's been like this since the massacre 9 years ago." Jordan replied deep in thought, her face twisted in a frown, marring her beautiful features.

Confusion came first. What massacre? Why was it so important to Hunter? What was Hunter like before? A million things I wanted to ask fluttered chaotically around my head, if I tried to say anything it would just be a garbled mess. Jordan didn't expand, she only pressed forward eagerly.

Why is everyone so irritatingly cryptic? As if they wanted me to stew over questions they weren't going to answer.

However, the pass shouldn't be dwelled on or it may drive you insane. My grandmother used to say 'Old thoughts need to be thrown-away like old shoes or else they'll just slow you down'.

I miss her wisdom, she always knew what stale dusty words should be used to mend a heaving heart. Although, I'm afraid mine was too late for even poetic advice. My heart was hemorrhaging over the top like an overflowing bucket. It felt like pieces of me were being sluggishly ripped off until I was nothing more then a pile of my former self. Still, something in me bottled it up enough to keep going.