Chapter 21

"Just relax, I've got you." Hunter murmured as he carried me down the hall.

I just stared blankly into his chest and focused on the beating rattling inside his ribcage. I let my muscles go limp and resembled a rag doll more than a living person. There was just no fight left, well more like nothing left to fight for. Everything I thought I knew turned out to be wrong.

It feels as though my past just exploded and there was nothing left to look back on and remember. I wasn't the Aspen I knew, I wasn't sure who I was. Just a girl who lost everything.

Except him.

Looking up at Hunter I examined his features.

He had the kind of face that stopped people dead in their tracks. I could imagine girls covering up their blushes and keeping their drooling to a minimum as he walked by. There eyes widen with surprise and nonchalantly try to cover up their desire but fail miserably. Tripping over each other just to get another glance at, what Hunter could easily be described as, a Roman god. No doubt once it was announced Alpha Hunter found his mate several young female hearts were crushed.

Strangely, that pleased me. As odd as it sounded the thought of girls dripping over Hunter made my blood boil, even if I didn't want him I also didn't want anyone else to have him either. Which, yes I agree, is very hypocritical and crazy sounding. But it is just how I felt deep down, I can't change that.

"What are you staring at?" Hunter asked while giving me a raised eyebrow.

Embarrassed filled my cheeks as I realized I was caught ogling Hunter far too long. I could feel my face begin to heat up as I try to think of a way out of my embarrassment.

"Oh... Uh... Just wondering where you're taking me." I lied, surely he could hear the change in my heartbeat.

Even if he did he didn't question it, just shrugged and kept a steady pace down the hallway.

"To my room. I want to talk to you about somethings, hopefully give you some answers."

We were going to Hunter's room... Alone. Just the two of us in a confined space and no one else. This wasn't going to end well.

But, I knew I needed some answers. Even if I didn't want to be alone with Hunter in such close proximity to a bed, I needed to know who was responsible for my packs extermination. Besides, if Hunter tries to make any move whatsoever, I'd just remind him how breakable bones are.

"Uh... Okay." I sighed.

Hunter didn't say anything else, but pulled me tighter to him just by a hair. If I wasn't paying attention I wouldn't of notice how his muscles tighten slightly under my knees and back. Or maybe the fact his heart grew a tad bit faster. I didn't know if he did this on purpose or if it was just simply adjusting my position.

We drew near to the dark hallway leading to his door. It was unusually quiet, like a ghost town.

My bones chilled as we neared the ominous doorway and something felt wrong. Almost like we just crossed into a graveyard and could feel the souls of those who passed on. It was unnerving to say the least. But oddly having Hunter close to me reassured me I was going to be alright, like as long as he was there nothing could sneak up and grab me.

"Can you walk?" Hunter asked after stopping just before the door.

I nodded and slowly slipped out of his grasped and landed a little less graceful then plan. Then without thinking I gripped the cool doorknob and twisted, going in before Hunter.