Chapter 15

This wasn't happening.

"Everyone Hunter Bloodmoon successfully captured Aspen Swiftpaw and returned in the timespan of 24 hours-"

All I could do was lay in the snow exhausted letting my entire pack see what a failure I was. Their eyes filled with disappointment, scowls played across their lips as they realized I wasn't strong enough.

Younger wolves almost mourned like I was once superman, but with my cape burnt and a krypton dagger protruding from my heart it was to hard for them to look. They couldn't bare the sight of their hero beaten. If I was honest I couldn't bare the sight of myself right now.

Wishing to disappear I searched the crowd for my parents. My mother had tears streaming down her face, it made her usually perfect makeup run like a painting left out in the rain. Dad's lips were pressed tight, trembling slightly at the sight of his baby girl lying broken in the snow. His knuckles were white from clenching so hard, I could see he wanted to run over and save me, but I was beyond saving.

"Aspen has failed to meet the requirements to remain an unmarked female, she has proven unfit to defend herself from attackers. Alpha Hunter Bloodmoon will be from now on responsible for Aspen as mate and protector!"

Oh no! I really lost, how could I let myself lose.

Just them an inky black figure approached, his fur almost moved like silk in water. Hunter's aura radiated on me like a sauna, I was drowning in his power; it felt just like the river. I needed to get away, this is the end.

Hunter moved closer, slowly, taking his time because he already knew he had won. A feeling of vulnerability like no other overwhelmed my senses, but I couldn't move. My brain screamed at my muscles to snap into action but I was paralyzed, practically a young pup ripe for the picking; it was all too easy for Hunter.

Next thing I knew the flash of brilliant white fangs clamping around my shoulder and the voice-

"Let me introduce Aspen Bloodmoon, Luna of the Red Druid pack!"

***

My eyes snapped open, I was still being dragged by Hunter. I felt that groggy alertness you get after waking up suddenly from a nightmare. If I was walking I'd be stumbling around unable to keep in a straight line, unfortunately I wasn't walking.

I can hear my heart slamming against my ribcage as I try and regulate my breathing. Adrenaline coursed through my blood, giving my muscles a buzz to bolt at any second. This dream affected me more than it should. I was terrified of it becoming not a figment of my imagination but instead a premonition of my destiny. How could I live knowing I let my entire pack down, what would I have to show for all my struggles? At least I tried is what they'll say about Aspen Swiftpaw, once the strongest female the pack has seen.

I needed a hug or at least someone to tell me to 'women up and shove on', just something so I wouldn't feel so isolated. Like I was a single leaf blowing in a tornado all I wanted was for another leaf to be casted away with me.

I suppose if I do lose Rachel and I would be going to Red Druid pack, she could be my leaf.

But I wasn't some flimsy leaf fluttering shamelessly in the wind. I would never let myself be degrading to something so weak. I wasn't a leaf but a tree. A tree that has survived numerous tornadoes and thunderstorms, standing strong in a enduring silence. I was not going to be a leaf.