Twenty-One

Cas was a little scared when he entered the living room, as all the information he had gathered so far portrayed John Winchester as a monster.

"Dad, this is Castiel Novak. Castiel, this is my dad, John," Dean said, looking frazzled.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Winchester," Cas said, holding out his hand.

"And you, Castiel," John replied, shaking his hand. Cas nodded.

"Well, this is the whole family! Sure you're not going to run away?" Dean's tone suggested he was joking, but Cas thought he saw some fear in Dean's eyes when he asked.

"Never. I like your family," Cas replied, giving Dean a reassuring smile.

"Well, just give us a couple weeks," Sam said, smiling.

***

Cas was really starting to like Dean's family. Dean took him to several Christmas parties over the next week, of course. One night, Cas was reading in his bed, listening to the muffled sounds of classic rock being blared from Dean's room next to him, when the lights flickered and went out. He stiffened, trying his best not to scream when the music stopped and he heard a thud, followed by footsteps, in Dean's room. He jumped out of his bed and ran for the door. Some part of his brain knew that the footsteps were Dean, but his fear it was Naomi, coming for him again. He pulled open the door just in time for Dean to rush in and hug him tightly.

"It's okay, it's okay, calm down. It's okay, Cas," Dean murmured into Cas' ear. Cas reached out to grip Dean's shirt only to discover he wasn't wearing one. He felt a tiny flutter in his stomach, but it was quickly quenched by panic.

"Dean..." He whimpered.

"It's okay, Cas, I'm here. No one's going to hurt you," Dean reassured him.

"Dean, I'm scared," Cas started to cry.

"I know, I know, but you're going to be okay. I promise, Cas," Dean said, still holding Cas to him tightly. Cas sobbed into Dean's shoulder and Dean started rocking back and forth before starting to sing in a gruff and slightly off-key voice:

Hey Jude, don't make it bad.

Cas' fear began to melt away as he closed his eyes and listened to Dean sing.

Take a sad song and make it better.

Cas' tears slowed and stopped.

Remember to let her into your heart.

Dean walked Cas back over to the bed and pulled him down until the were sitting next to each other, Cas still cradled in Dean's arms.

Then you can start to make it better.

Dean sang the entire rest of the song until Cas fell asleep against his chest, smiling softly.