Chapter Two

Kat:
Some guy sprained his ankle on that root a while back, he's not the first one to do it. We keep telling trail crew to fix it but they never listen. I walk into the first aid room. I see him and he sees me, it's too late to turn around and go help with dinner. Marc Stevenson. My best friend in middle school, the boy who was supposed to be the love of my life. Then high school hit and we stopped talking. But I could never forget him.

"Kat Summers." Marc says almost gasping. It irritates me a bit that he's shocked to see me here.

"Marc Stevenson." I reply surprised to see him up here, I never knew him to do anything other than play football and flirt. The three other guys that are with him look between the two of us awkwardly.

My cheeks turn red. I quickly spin around and open the first aid bin. I dig out some medical wrap, Aspirin, and one of those instant ice packs. I pull out the small stool from under the cot and take off his boot and sock then I shake up the ice pack and put it on his leg.

"You need to make sure that u don't put any pressure on your foot or do anything that could irritate the muscle." I mumble as I start to wrap the wrap around the ice pack. "Dinner is at 7:00, have one of these guys help u to the table." I say and turn around to try and leave but one of the guys stops me.

"My friends and I were going to head up to the summit before dinner, would we have enough time?" The look on his face is begging me to say yes and I can tell he doesn't care about Marc all that much. I check my watch 5:45.

"Yea you guys should have plenty of time." I say smiling and I walk out of there and into the kitchen to help make dinner.

"You okay?" Asks my boyfriend Jackson as he playfully bumps into me. "You look like you saw a ghost."

I met Jackson two years ago at a hut manager training camp over the summer. He was my mentor Both years. He was cute, he had shaggy black hair and grayish hazel eyes. Freckles sprinkled across his nose, almost blending into his tan skin. And he was tall, not to tall though. Just the perfect high so when we hug his chin rest on the top of my head.

"Not quite." I laugh. I can tell Jackson was looking for more of an answer. "The guy that sprained his ankle,we use to be friends in middle school." I mumble. I can see Jackson's eyes widen. I kept my past very hidden from him, not because I did anything bad or that my life was horrible. I just wanted a fresh start and to forget.

" Oh, wow." He says as he continues to open cans of tomato sauce. I nod and go over and pull a large can of ground beef off one of the shelves. I open it and as soon as I smell it I knew I was going to puke.

Jackson sees me run off and follows me into the bathroom. I lean over the toilet and he holds my hair back for me. I feel tears of embarrassment well in my eyes. I wipe my mouth with the back of my sleeve and fall into Jackson's chest. He takes off his hoodie and hands it to me. I slide it over my head, he always knows how to make me feel better. He kisses the top of my head and sends me into the first aid room so I don't get anyone else sick. As soon as Marc sees me he sits up straight, I see a smile appear on his face.

"Who's hoodie is that?" He smirks. I look down at the oversized Colorado Rockies hoodie I was wearing.

"It's no ones." I say and lean against the wall. Marc nods.

"Is it your boyfriend's?" His voice goes up when he says boyfriend.

"Yea actually it is." I say. Marc shuts right up. I smirk.

"Who?" He asks sounding a little shocked. I lay down on the other cot and begin to dose off.

"No one." I mutter.