Chapter Seventeen

Marc:
"Kat!" I practically fall out of bed. I burst out of the bunk room and I run into the main room. I look around to see Jackson standing up with Kat clinging to his shoulder. Her eyes were closed. I run into the kitchen and help lift her to her feet. We half carry half drag her over to the rocking chair by the bookshelf. Jackson places her carefully in the chair and drops by her side and gently rubs her hand.

"Kat." He almost whispers, his voice slightly cracking. I take a step back in shock. Kat starts coming too.

"Jackson?" She murmurs. And that's when he breaks down. He laughs a little bit with tears streaming down his face. He gives her a kiss on the cheek. I began to back away slowly when-

"Marc?" I hear Kat murder. I turn around, She looks at me very confused, Jackson looks at me embarrassed.

"Yea." I give an awkward nod. "What happened?" I turn to Jackson. That's when his whole mood changes.

"Like you don't know." He scoffs. In that moment I only wanted to punch him. Punch him in the face and make him pay. But I honestly had no idea what happened. He must have realized that so he kept going. "You and your little girlfriend Ali can't mind your own business. I should have known u were listening in on our little conversation that night."

And then it all becomes clear. Ali must have found out about Kat and said something to upset her.

"I never told Ali shit!" Kat stands up and puts herself between the two of us.

"Guys you need to stop this, this is really bad." Jackson takes a step back and drops his head. "Jackson you have to trust that Me and Marc were over a long time ago. And Marc, you have to realize that we were over a long time ago. Nothing is going to change. Jackson I still love you. Marc, I use to love you, but not anymore."

I couldn't comprehend what she had just said, "I use to love you, but not anymore." Things were definitely over, I couldn't win her back. She was gone.

I needed air.

I finally understood why Kat ran out of the movie theater back in middle school. It's something about seeing someone that once meant so much to you love another person. It physically makes your chest hurt. It crushes your heart and lungs and ribs and makes you shake with every breath.

I go outside and do the only rational thing to do in a moment like this. I punch the side of the hut. But it didn't make me feel any better. Something's need time to heal I guess.

I collapse on the ground with my head leaning against the side of the hut and just stare up at the sun and the sky. I didn't go in for breakfast. I heard them muffle the weather through the wooden walls. I heard people laughing with there friends and strangers they met along the way.

And for the first time in a while. I felt alone, completely alone.