Chapter Eight

Kat:
We had just sold our seventh bowl of soup when Alex burst through the door. I was so excited I almost tipped over a bag of flour I was using to make bread for dinner.

"Alex!" Yells Ali. I roll my eyes. Annoying enthusiasm and personally I think she's got a little crush on him. Alex was older then all of us, in his late twenties. He had short brown hair and blue eyes. He's attractive, I'll admit that, but he's not my type.

"Hello ladies." He smirks as he enters the kitchen. "Aye Kat, where's your man?" He winks at me. I can't help but laugh.

"In town, he should be back before dinner though." I smile. Alex has this certain way about him that made everyone around him smile.

"Oh soup, I'm starving." He laughs as he picks up a bowl from behind Ali. Her cheeks turn pink, she's totally infatuated with him. I can't help but laugh.

When I first met Jackson I was sixteen and he was eighteen. As soon I saw him I couldn't help but be drawn to him. He asked me out at the end of the summer when camp was all done. Then next year he was my mentor again. "It's fate." I remember him saying. Later I learned he had requested to be my mentor. I never told him that though, I'll let him believe for now.

I snap back to reality and run into the bathroom. I absolutely hate this. I hear the door open and close behind me, both Ali and Alex stand behind me with worry written across there faces.

"Oh my gosh, Kat are you okay?" Asks Alex as he sits down next to me.

"She's been throwing up the past few days. I think she's got the flu." Says Ali scrunching up her nose.

"I'm fine Alex, really it's no big deal." I try and shrug it off.

"Ali go and work on dinner, Kat can I talk to you in private please." Alex orders, both me and Ali. Alex drags me into the staff bunk room.

"Kat, I will give you three minutes to tell me the truth or else I start to ask some really awkward questions." There's a hint of worry in Alex's voice as he passes back and forth.

" Can we wait until Jackson gets back, this includes him too." I say, surpassing myself with how whiny my voice sounds. Alex shakes his head.

"Fine, but until then I want you to stay in this room so you don't get any one else sick, assuming that you are sick and not something else." Alex shakes his head walks out the door. The weather is fair so I should get reception so I decide to text Jackson.

Kat: Hey where are you, Alex is here

I wait for a response, knowing if he's on the trail he might not have reception in some places. After a few minutes of waiting my phone vibrates.

Jackson: About a mile away, be there in an hour or so.

I read the message but don't respond.

Jackson: I have what u asked for

Kat: thanks, I love you, see you soon

Jackson: I love you too