Chapter Six

Kat:
I pour what's left of the chopped Suey into a large pot along with a few cans of beef broth. Ali and I have to make soup for lunch, thankfully there aren't a ton of people here. Jackson and Greg had to take down the trash and bring up food. Thankfully Greg has a week off so we have a different manager, I never liked Greg.

"Rumor is you know that guy who sprained his ankle." Ali gives me a wink. Ali is a naturally peppy person and sometimes is good but other times it annoys me.

"Yea we use to go to school together." I sigh as I swing the pot around landing it perfectly on the stove.

"Oh we're u guys friends?"

"Best friends." I mumble. But she didn't hear me and she seems to turn the subject away.

"How are you and Jackson?" Once again she asks me with a wink. I'm begging to think she might just have something in her eye.

"Great." I can't help but smile a bit. Without Greg here Jackson and I can get away with more stuff. (Wow that sounds bad, I mean that we can associate with each other more)

"Guess who's our hut manager?" Ali asks all excited. Her enthusiasm is being to get on my nerves.

"Alex!" She exclaims. Yes! I love Alex, he is the nicest and most easy going hut manager in all of the white mountains. He usually try's and over laps mine and Jacksons time off so we can hang out and not have to worry about work.

"That's great!" I say kinda surprised that I sound as peppy as Ali.

"Is Jackson coming back tonight?" Ali asks.

"Yea I think so." I mumble. Everything seems quite at the moment so I decide to take a break.

I go over to the small shelf of log books and begin to flip through them. I find it fascinating to hear people's thoughts and jokes. I'm half way through 1993 when Marc sits in front of me. A pit forms in my stomach.

"Hey Kat." He smiles at me. I begin to feel sick again so I run into the bathroom and once again puke into the toilet. Once I'm finished Marc burst through the door.

"Kat are you okay?" He asks clearly worried. He sits next to me on the floor. I feel my cheeks begin to burn. I quickly stand up and run out the door, next thing I know I'm sitting on the steps of the hut calling Jackson.

"Hey babe, what's up, I just pulled out of the parking lot." His voice echoes through the speaker. I take in a deep breath.

"Jackson are you alone right now?" I ask. I can practically see his face getting more worried.

" yeah, what's the matter? What do you need?" He begins to speak faster which only stresses me out more.

"I'm late. And I keep throwing up and I can't help but remember last month when we both had the same week off." I blurt. Tears prick at my eyes. Jackson goes quite and the longer he's quiet the more worried I get.

"I'll go into town and pick up a test." He says his voice is a bit shaky. "I love you."

"Thanks, I love you too." I mumble. And with that we both hang up. I run my fingers through my hair before quickly putting it into a side braid and returning to work.