A Miracle and a Beating

~Chapter Nine~

Jake

It's been two days... And Nathan hasn't shown any sign of waking.

My stomach growled loudly as I stayed at his side. I haven't accepted any food, water, or sleep ever since I brought him home.

My mom took the responsibility of bandaging up and treating Nathan. He hasn't made any noise besides his labored breathing. His eyelids twitch every now and then, but I don't ever see another sign that he's awake, or here.

I fear the worst as our time is dwindling down. Addison is trying to cover for us to her best ability, but soon she'll run out of excuses, and Nathan won't be with me...

"Jake... You must eat... You're hurting yourself," my mom's soft voice broke my train of thought. I looked at her as she was holding a tray of food and water. "Please..." I just shook my head. That wasn't fair. Nathan couldn't eat or drink... So I won't either until he does. I heard a small sigh as she set the tray down and left the room once again.

Tears started filling my eyes as I looked over his battered body. Who knew how much damage Aaron had done...? I gently placed my hand over Nathan's and felt his pulse. It was slow, but he was still there.

"Nathan..." I barely whispered. "I'm so sorry..." I broke my mom's rule and crawled onto the bed with him, gently holding his limp body. "Please.." I gasped out softly. "Why couldn't it have been me..?" I pressed my lips to his temple, a few tears slipping down my cheeks. My wolf was whining in pain, begging me to do something to help.

But I couldn't do anything.

"Nathan... Nathan, please... I wanna see your eyes again..." My hands started shaking. "Please, Nathan... Wake up... Show them you're stronger than they are and wake up..." I couldn't help but cry harder.

My Nathan... My soul mate... My life...

"Dammit, Nathan, wake up!" I yelled, watching his face. Still nothing... Blank. Emotionless. Not my Nathan...

Not my Nathan...

When I finally had him... Right when he finally learned that I actually loved him... Some assholes had to ruin it.

I looked at Nathan's face again, and swallowed hard. "Nathan... I'm begging you..." I pulled him close and buried my face into his neck. "Wake up.."

We sat there for a while. I kept talking, trying to get Nathan to do something. Anything. I closed my eyes and listened to his heart.

I only had a string of hope left when I heard a whimper. I abruptly pulled back to look at Nathan. He whimpered again, and his eyelids opened a tiny bit. I watched his Adam's apple bob as he swallowed.