Drown In Despair

~Chapter Twenty-Two~

Nathan (Friday)

"Yeah, Cayden and I were gonna go to the park today for a picnic, but he has family issues. I was wondering if you could come instead."

"Can Jake come, too?" I asked, smiling as Jake pressed our hands together. His hands were much bigger than mine.

"Actually, Nathan... Nothing against Jake, but I was thinking it could just be us." I haven't been away from Jake in a while... It seemed weird without him.

"Oh, uh... Yeah, sure." I watched as Jake kissed my hand and trailed his kisses up to my shoulder.

"Don't let her keep you out too long," Jake playfully growled as he nuzzled my hair. "We're supposed to do our movie and cheat night tonight." My heart raced a bit. Cheat night was the night I was allowed to eat some sweets and junk. With Jake, it usually consisted of chocolate and whipped cream, only because he can't help but want to lick both things off of me.

"Y-Yeah, Adi, I'll go," I smiled. "I'll see you around five..."

"Bye." And she hung up. Jake took my phone and tossed it away. He nuzzled me and wouldn't let go.

"Do you have to go?" He whined like a child. "It's just supposed to be us!" I sighed.

"I know, I know... But she loves Cayden and hates being alone... And I'm her friend... I owe her," I looked at him.

"Owe her?"

"For all she's done for me... She's lied to so many people when I got hurt.. She's stood up for me ever since I met her.." I felt myself smile a bit. "I told my mom, she was like my guardian angel, you know?" Jake hummed happily and cuddled against me. I have three hours until I need to meet Adi. This would be great. I haven't seen her for so long... And maybe she'll become the real her without Cayden around.

~*~

Jake pulled up to the park and looked around. Adi smiled and waved at us from a small park table. I waved back and got a kiss from Jake before getting out and running to her. I waved and blew a kiss to Jake before he smirked. He put his hand out the window, caught my kiss and drove away. A cool breeze bit at my skin, making the hair on my arms raise.

"I'm glad you could make it," Adi giggled. "I was going to be here all alone.." She sat us down and set out the small dinner and gave me a water bottle.

"I'm glad I could come," I smiled back and took a sip. "Where's Cayden?"

"He had to do things with his family unexpectedly. Like, a family meeting I guess."

"Ah, okay." I smiled. "Hey, at least you have me, right? And it's just us, too..." I breathed in, the scent of the musky lakeside mud and gentle hint of the pine tree forest not too far from here filled my nose. The quiet choir of crickets hidden in the tall grasses around us just made it that more relaxing.

"Nathan... I'm your best friend, right?" Adi spoke softly, her hair hiding her face. Her soft cheek bones and pink lips were all I saw.

"Of course... Why?" I saw her body stiffen.

"A-And... You'd forgive me... If I made a mistake, right..?" Her voice had become shaky and fearful. This was weird... Adi never spoke of anything like this.

"Of course I would... You're my guardian angel," I offered a small smile. All of a sudden, it became quiet. The breeze wasn't blowing; the crickets had stopped their beautiful tunes. Just... Silent. Something glimmered on Adi's cheek.