Chapter 4

"Shape-shifters."

That took a second to sink in. I became aware of my tail. Well, more like the absence of it. It was gone.

Shape-shifters? Not spies? I thought.

Maybe I was really hooked on the spy idea. Or maybe I was still doubtful about anything about my family being special.

Yes, I know the spy thing was far fetched- even farther, the super hero, but I still couldn't swallow past the lump in my throat.

"Shape-shifters." I repeated, just to be sure.

"Yes, shape-shifters."

"And mighty good ones, at that," my dad added.

"But... that's it? I, I can just think 'mop' and turn into a sloppy mess? That's great. Really helpful. Thanks. It even comes with a tail! Wonderful."

I was rude and selfish, I know, but I couldn't help it. The kids at school wouldn't think anything of it. They'd probably laugh and force me to turn into a blobfish or something.

"Sweetie," momma looked disappointed. She was expecting a bigger reaction. "You are a shape-shifter. You can turn into any animal that ever existed!"

"Yes," dad emphasized. " even a saber tooth tiger! But your first few Transformations will be the family's clan animal."

Oh, okay. With my luck it'll be a blobfish.

Just to humor them I asked, "So what? What's our clan animal?"

Together they answered, "Lionae. Lion."

I guess I thought that they weren't lying about not being spies. So that's when the disbelief hit.

"Someone pinch me."

"What?" Mother's face was blank.

"Pinch me."

"Why?"

"So I can make sure I'm not dreaming."

Dad chuckled. "You aren't dreaming."

"That's what someone in a dream would say."

That stumped him. But my momma began, "Because you couldn't imagine Shai soi or Chai. It's an ancient language. Only other shai know it."

"O-o-o-o-okay. So if you two are telling me the truth, prove it."

Dad gave a knowing smile, like he was expecting this. He stood from the couch got down on the carpet and warned, "I'd cover your ears, cub."

And then, he changed. His clothes melted into gold skin that sprouted fur. Dad's upper lip merged with his nose that grew out into a muzzle. His nose flattened and became black. He sprouted dark brown hair around his neck and head. A long tail elongated from his back-end.

Dad the Lion roared with pride. I hadn't noticed my momma changing either. The graceful lioness slinked across the carpet and affectionately rubbed her head under dad's chin.

"You know what? I can pinch myself."

I did.

It hurt.

And my parents were still feline.

"Wow. This, this is real! I'm actually a Shay... whatever you said! How...? W-when...? When will I learn to do that? When can I turn into any animal? How many? Can I tell my class? Oh! That would be so cool, and-"

My dad, now back to human form, interrupted, "No! No Namuh can know about the Shai soi. Ever."

"Your father's right. No one can know about shape shifters. Like I told you before, the government would get involved, and we'll all end up in their labs."

"Then what's the point of being special when no one knows who you are?"

"Well, if you practice enough you can use your animal abilities to inhance your human skills. A lot of Shai soi are famous for their 'natural talent'. Humans don't know that our raw skill is our animal instincts at work in our normal bodies."

"Huh?"

Father jumped in. "Le Bron James descends from the flea clan."

I snorted. "Flea clan?"

"Yes. That's how he can jump so high." Dad's eyes gleamed with humor. " And that's also why he's so knit-picky about his shoes."

"And Dwayne Johnson isn't called 'The Rock' for nothing. He descends from the Rhino clan. It's all connected. You are part of that. Our whole family is."

I exhaled contently.

Finally, I'm part of something. I will no longer be invisible.