Chapter 5

"So, how can I change?"

"You already have." My Dad's eyes shown with pride.

"What, now?"

"When you entered the Den. No one but a Shai Soi can come in- or an invited guest. But you do need to be a certain size to get in. We said to sniff, yes? The Den simulates the savanna- the natural habitat of the lion."

"That's the key, cub." Momma took on her best teaching voice. "Thinking about your animal's home or thinking like that animal, and you'll change. Your first transformations will be a lion. The rest, whatever you wish."

"Awesome! How long will it take to turn into something else?"

"It depends on the animal and the person."

My mind was racing. "How long will it take to use animal abilities when I'm normal? Will I be able to climbs walls like Spiderman? Or can I use a bear's strength to do pushups? Oh, man, the would so help with gym class..."

"Slow down, Becky. Don't get ahead of yourself," Dad interjected.

"Sorry, cub, you can only channel your clan animal's abilities. So, unless lions have to super natural ability to stick to walls, I'm going to say no Spidergirl tricks."

My hopes deflated a bit. "Well, I can still change right? That's enough. How do I do it again?"

Momma crounched in the ground, beckoning me to follow. The rough carpet scratched at my hands.

Momma smiled and spread her fingers. "Think like a lion. Take in the Den- the smells," the sickly sweet aroma of the meat stung my nostrils, "the sights," the fluorescent light bulbs burred together, forming a bright sun. The torn up couch shifted, the hanging treads melded into stalks of grass creeping up a sunning rock. "The feeling of the ground beneath you..." The itchness of the carpet vanished, replaced by soft soil under my hands, no, paws.

Ah!

My parents chuckled. I turned to see my body. It was lean. Pure muscle rippled under my golden coat as I stalked around the Den. My long tail finally fit with my body. Razor sharp claws gleamed in the harsh light. My fangs were sharp as knives.

I pranced around. Momma and Dad laughed out loud. My tongue lolled, and deep yips reverberted from my throat.

Excited, I let out a roar of my own. It was magnificent. It was powerful. Of course, my roar wasn't as mighty as my father's. But it was just as passionate.

The ancient power of the Shai soi pounded through my veins.

My parents morphed into their lions and roared in harmony. That night was the best of my life- even better than that one 100 I got in fourth grade.

Why? Because all of us, a majestic pride of lions, roared with power.

I was special.

I was a Shai soi. And being one was going to be great.