Chapter 47

...and slammed shut.

I sucked in a breath. Deciding to take it slow, I worked my gaze up from his tattered Addidas to his trembling hands, one in a sling, to his busted lip, and lastly to his glowing eyes. I flinched. His shimmering green eyes that had been searching my face locked with mine.

My breath hitched. No over exciting activities...  The monitor sped up with my heartbeat. I wanted to apologize. I wanted to blame myself before his sharp silver tongue beat me to it. I knew it would be easier if I admitted it than to listen to his tirade. I had the words, but they stuck in my throat.

"H-hey," was all I could manage.

And three steps later his arms were around me and his fingers were tangled in my falling ponytail. When I realized he wasn't mad, I hugged him and apologized into his neck. "I''m sorry, Nathaniel. I'm so sorry. She asked me...I didn't want to..."

"Sh," Nathaniel pulled me closer. He wasn't mad at all. Just concerned. His hand was gentle as it rubbed smooth circles into my back. I was really  glad I wasn't in a patient's gown. "Are you okay?"

"I'm alive, aren't I?"

He let out a shaky laugh. Nathaniel pulled away and brushed some hair behind my ear. His emerald eyes searched my face, lingering on my cheek. My muscles twitched around a long cut that ran down my face. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Well, I can't hear out of one ear, my mouth is as dry as a desert, my arm's broken, and I have pufferfish venom in my blood system. Other than that I'm great," I dragged out the last word. My lips curved into a smile but the tape over my cut complained. I stopped quickly.

Nathaniel's lips parted. His eyes cast upwards. I made out a ghost of a smile. "Glad to see your sarcasm's still intact."

"Glad to see your ego isn't."

He smiled- a real smile- and hugged me again. My ribs screamed despite the painkiller. I bit down a wince and leaned in closer. "I'm so sorry about Sadie," I whispered into his hair.

Nathaniel squeezed me against his chest. His voice was husky. "That doesn't matter, Bec. She made her choice, and you made yours. What matters is that you're here."

The nails of my good hand dug into his back. I was trying to remember how to breathe. A weight slowly slid off of my chest. I couldn't believe how normal it felt here. I craned my neck to reach his ear. My chapped lips brushed against his skin. ''We made it?"

Nathaniel's breath ruffled my hair. "Yeah. Yeah, we made it."