Chapter Ten

Marley

Sure, poor Adam, but what about me? I've lost everyone, everyone but Trent. I would give everything just to be annoyed by my family just once more.

The school bell rings, so I follow Trent into a classroom. Mr. Bailey, our health teacher passes Trent a note with a grim expression.

"Everyone who was on the oval has an appointment with the school counselor. If you don't come back by the end of the lesson, I'll give the handouts to Jeremy to pass on."

"Okay, thanks." Trent nods.

He drags his shoes across the flooring on the way out of the classroom. We move in silence until we're standing in the admin office.

"Hi Beth, I have an appointment with the school counselor." He holds up the note and she nods her heart-shaped face. She tucks a strand of brown hair behind her ear and points to the office.

"Just head inside, she's expecting you."

"Thanks."

He walks around the desk and opens the door. Ms. Tuley tugs on a smile as she swivels around in her leather desk chair.

"Take a seat." She nods to the pastel blue couch.

Trent drops his bag on the floor and plonks onto the couch. He crosses his arms and stares at Ms. Tuley. She grabs a pink notebook and crosses her legs.

"How are you, Trent?"

"Fine."

"Everyone who was witness to yesterday's event has been booked in for a session. I'm just here in case you'd like to discuss what you witnessed or talk about your feelings."

"Okay."

"Would you like to talk about it?"

"Do you believe in ghosts?" He side eyes me and I glare.

"Um." She frowns. "What makes you ask that."

"I'm just curious, Ms. Tuley."

"Perhaps they exist, I don't know. What are your thoughts?"

"I don't know, maybe." He shrugs.

"Have you seen something?"

"No."

"Okay."

"I don't have anything to say, but thank you for reaching out. I'll be sure to make an appointment if I feel like I need someone to talk to."

"Are you sure?" She frowns.

"Yes." He nods.

"Okay, Trent."

"Thanks."

Trent slings his bag over his shoulder and wanders outside. Beth shoots him a smile and we exist the admin office.

"I thought you'd have more to say." I sigh.

Trent shrugs his shoulders.

"You're standing right beside me, so perhaps I don't feel like everyone else."

"Fair point." I nod.

Trent wanders into Mr. Bailey's class and takes a seat beside Jeremy. There's a spare desk which would have been mine if circumstances were different.

If I wasn't scared about the news, I'd go home and see my parents. I'd rather not know and be stuck in limbo, than know I'm seconds away from my last breath. Oddly enough, there's something calming in not knowing.

I wander across the room and plonk into the chair. For a place I always wanted to escape, being surrounded by people with the same uniform and in a classroom that's familiar brings a sense of normalcy to a not so normal situation.

* * * * *