Chapter Thirteen

Marley

Sometimes it feels like nothing has changed, especially when I stand in the school halls. Nobody noticed me and now everyone's forgotten about me. Everyone except Adam and Sarah.

Adam shoves books into his locker and flings the door shut. He brushes the back of his hand over his cheek and takes a deep breath. His black hair is a wavy mess and his eyes swollen from crying.

Trent appears beside me with a grim smile. He adjusts his backpack on his shoulder and looks at me, then to Trent.

"Do you want answers?" he whispers.

If I had a heartbeat, it would be racing to the point of exploding.

Yes and no.

I squeeze my eyes shut and nod.

Trent bumps his shoulder into the lockers as he leans against them. Adam jumps and hugs his history books to his chest.

"Hey Trent." He nods.

"I, um." He frowns. "I know we're not close or anything, but I wanted to check on you. I can't imagine what you're going through."

Adam's muscles tense and his knuckles turn white. Tears prick the corner of his eyes, so I wrap my arms around myself and squeeze. I wish I could give him a hug, I wish I could tell him that everything will be okay. No matter what it takes, I'll make it back.

"Thanks, Trent."

"If you want to forget about everything, come to elite training tonight. We both know you deserve to be on the team and not Zack."

"Thank you for the offer, but I don't know. My parents need me more than I need sport."

"Offer is there if you decide differently."

The bell rings and the two part ways. I follow Trent down the hallway and to his classroom.

Trent scratches his head and looks away.

"I'm sorry I didn't get your answers."

"We can't have everything we want. I'm happy you asked him to training, though. I hope that helps ease things for him."

* * * * *

Trent wanders into the lunch room and joins the que. Adam spins around and we both gasp.

"Hi." Trent nods.

"Hey." He smiles.

The pair grab their food and pay. Adam awkwardly gazes at the crowd which tears me apart. Trent stands beside Adam and coughs.

"Do you want to sit with us?"

"Um, yeah." He nods.

Trent heads outside to a small paved area which has undercover seating. Trent's usual band of friends are already seated around the table.

Jeremay spots Adam and the smile slips from his face.

"Sorry about your sister." He sighs.

Adam places the tray on the table and shrugs.

"Thanks."

"Are we having a quick game today?" someone else asks.

"Of course." Jeremy scoffs.

"Perhaps we can whip Adam into shape so he can make the elite team this year," Trent comments.

"Please." Another laughs. "I'm tired of picking up slack from Zack. He's the worst player and no amount of money is going to change that."

While they talk about training and game strategies, I wander to the oval and lay under a tree. It's weird being outside because I don't feel the wind, but I see the leaves rustling. I don't feel the heat, but I see the perspiration on Trent's forehead.

How could someone adjust to death when they walk among the living, unless the dead go somewhere else? Limbo feels like hell, especially seeing my family suffer. However, this could be a version of heaven, knowing my family will be okay is sorta peaceful.

Once they've finished eating, everyone but Trent and Adam jog onto the field. Trent walks slowly with a thoughtful expression.

"I have to ask, how's Marley?"

Adam shakes his head.

"It's complicated."

"How so?"

"Why are you asking? You didn't know her." Adam rapidly blinks but it doesn't stop the tears from trickling down his cheeks.

"Because I was there when it happened. I saw the ball hit her, I saw the blood and I watched her best friend fall apart. I need to know."

"My parents don't want it getting around."

"I don't gossip."

"The odds aren't in her favour." He sighs. "There's swelling around her brain, so they put her in a coma. It's a sit and watch situation. There's a chance she'll recover and there's a chance she'll have immense brain damage."

"I'm sorry."

Trent takes a deep breath and sighs.

"She'll make it through, I have faith."

"I'm sure she will." I nod.

Jeremy motions for them to hurry up, so Adam brushes the tears away and runs ahead. Trent looks between me and the group.

"Go on, I'll be fine."

There was always a chance that I wasn't going to make it, but there's still a chance I will.

* * * * *