Chapter Thirty One

Marley

Being the girl who almost died is bad enough, but wearing a bright red helmet is absolutely mortifying. Everyone is going to see that damn thing since it doesn't exactly blend in.

"Don't worry, nobody will even notice once the game starts."

I roll my eyes and shake my head.

"You can't exactly miss a giant red helmet."

"Who cares about the helmet, we're here to support our boyfriends."

Sarah spots Josh, so she madly waves. He runs towards her and Sarah meets him near the bleachers. She leaps into his arms and he swings her around. She squeals which earns the attention of Trent. He frowns, so I sink further into my chair.

Trent storms across the oval and climbs up the bleacher steps until he's standing beside me. He towers over me, hiding the sunlight. I look up and smile.

"Hi, Trent." I smile.

"Why aren't you wearing your helmet?"

"I will once you start the game."

"Here, let me help you."

He grabs the helmet and puts it on despite my pout. The helmet slides down and it squishes my ears. It feels odd and it's heavy.

"I feel violated." I glare.

"You look stunning." He smiles.

"I look stupid."

"You look safe."

"Do you want some bubble wrap as well?" I grumble.

"Do you have any?"

"No, I was joking."

"I know." He laughs.

"Make sure you keep the helmet on then."

"Just for you."

When the Coach blows his whistle, Trent gives me a tight hug and races over. I plonk on the bench and wait for Sarah to return. She sits beside me and laughs.

"I feel like an idiot."

"I guess I'll be hiding behind you?" She smiles.

We turn to the field, eager for the game to start. Everyone is gathered around the coach except for one person slowly making their way over.

"Who's that?" I ask, turning to Sarah for answers.

"That Marley, is your brother." True to her words, when the anonymous figure makes it to the group, he takes off the helmet and it's Adam.

"Aw, he finally made it one the team." I gush.

"Yes, Trent helped Adam get onto the team while you were recovering."

"That's nice."

Once they begin, their team tactics are obvious. It's a game of cat and mouse, which continues until the other team wises up and scores a goal.

With Trent's amazing skills, they shoot three more goals. I've never cared for who wins or losses, but now I do. I want to see Trent crush them.

When the game ends, our school cheers because we're the winners. With the puck safely out of play, I remove the helmet and race down to Trent.

Trent runs towards me and we collide. He lifts me up and spins around. I drop the helmet on the ground and wrap my arms around his neck. As he places me on the ground, his lips meet mine. I run my fingers through his hair as tingles spread through my body.

"I love you, Mars."

I'm taken back, but as I search his eyes, there's love and joy swirling within them.

"I love you too." I smile.

"Kiss me, Marley."

I might not have my memories, but I know with the help of Trent, I'll have even better ones to remember in the future.

* * * * *