Chapter Fifteen

Marley

Furniture has been cleared to the side to ensure there's enough room for dancing, welp, grinding against other people. There's poppy music blasting through a speaker which also dubs as a table for empty drinks.

"Did you want a drink?" Adam asks.

"I desperately need one of those." Trent chuckles.

"I hear you." Adam claps Trent's shoulder and the pair wander deeper into the house.

Trent finds the kitchen which is brimming with red cups and empty beer bottles. He searches through some cupboards until he stumbles across Jeremy's collection of cheap whisky and vodka. Adam finds two cups and Trent pours vodka into them.

The pair clink their cups and down the large shot of alcohol. Adam coughs while Trent squeezes his eyes shut. He fills the cup with water and washes the burn from his throat.

Jeremy stumbles into the kitchen and gasps.

"Trent, you bitch." He laughs.

Trent ditches the cup at Jeremy which misses him.

"Hey, don't mess the house up." Jeremy grabs the cup and tosses it onto the table.

"Where's everyone?"

"Outside in the pool. Do you want to come?"

"Sure." Adam nods.

Trent sighs but reluctantly follows them outside.

The lounge room opens to a deck which leads down to a large yard. There's a pool with a spa connected, then a grass area with a table and chairs. There's members of the hockey team lounging in the pool with girls frolicking in the water.

From the steam rising off the water, I'd love to sink into the warm depths. I hate that I'm a ghost dressed in this horrible school uniform in the middle of a raging party.

If I was alive, I wouldn't have been invited, nor would I have come. I suppose I can't be too mad about it right now.

Trent removes his t-shirt and jeans, then tosses them to the side. He slips into the pool and swims around. Jeremy holds up a half empty bottle of vodka and orders people to take a sip.

If Adam goes home drunk, our parents will flip.

There's nothing I can do, so I sit back and watch the storm brew.

* * * * *

Trent fumbles with the tiny buttons on his shirt and I sigh. I swat his hands away and do the buttons myself. I peer around and sigh as most are drunk or too busy talking to other people to notice what's happening here.

"Mars, I uh." He squeezes his eyes shut and shakes his head.

"What's wrong?"

"There's something I need to tell you?"

"What?"

"We should go somewhere else?"

I shake my head and sigh.

"If things were different, I'd say no. Since I'm a ghost and you look like a crazy person talking to yourself, sure, let's go somewhere else." I laugh.

He staggers further down the yard where it's quiet and dark.

"It's all my fault."

"What, that tonight has been terrible?" I chuckle.

"Uh, tonight has been so much fun."

"For some." I roll my eyes.

He runs his fingers through his hair and sighs.

"It's all my fault."

"What's your fault?" I frown.

"Your accident."

"What do you mean?"

"Everything, it's all my fault. I had to tell you. I couldn't keep it a secret anymore. I'm so sorry."

I take a step back but Trent reaches out, only for his fingers to slide through me. Hurt flashes through his eyes. I can't be here. I sprint to the front garden and spin around.

There's thudding as Trent runs down the pavement calling my name. I leap into the neighbour's yard and hide behind the hedging. He runs down the footpath, chasing a dead end.

The one person who is supposed to save me is the reason I'm like this.

I will never forgive Trent Evans for this.

* * * * *