Alternative Ending Chapter

"Marley, wear the football helmet," Trent demands, thrusting the helmet into my hands. I look at the heavy plastic device and thrust it back into Trent's hands.

"There's no way I'm wearing that dorky thing." I shake my head.

"Yes, you are." Trent places the helmet on top of my head, then presses down. The chunky headpiece slides over the top of my head. He pats the top before grabbing the buckle to strap under my chin.

"I look like an idiot." I pout.

"No you don't, Mars, you look stunning."

I bare my teeth and growl.

"Why are you making me wear this ridiculous thing?"

Trent sighs, his gaze dropping to the ground. He reaches out of my hand and tugs my body against his for a tight hug.

"Because I don't want anything bad happening again."

"Did you want bubble wrap as well?"

"Yes, do you have any?" Trent laughs.

"I was joking," I reply. "Besides, you are already making me sit far away from the game, what next?"

"I can't get on the field without knowing you're going to be okay."

"I will, I promise!" I shake Trent's shoulders, hoping sense falls upon him.

The coach blows his whistle and everyone runs towards him, including Trent. I take a deep breath and relax. Once he gets his head into the game, this shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Everyone arrives in front of the coach except for one member who is slowly jogging over.

"Who's the dork?"

"That Marley, is your brother." She chuckles.

The guy takes his helmet off and it's my brother.

"So, he finally made it one the team." I gush.

Within no time, the game starts and they're off to a good start. Their rivalry team is up to their dirty tactics which leave me shaking my head. It's pathetic.

"I'm going to go closer to cheer Josh on," says Sarah.

"I'll come too." I take the ridiculous helmet off and leave it on the seat.

Sarah and I stand on the sidelines of the game cheering the guys on.

"Go, Trent!" I scream. "You can make that goal."

With all the other screaming and cheering, I'm sure my efforts are being drowned out, but it's nice to scream and yell in support of our team.

The ball comes towards us and the guys go running. The opposing team takes a swing and hits the ball. It bounces off someone else's stick and ricochets through their air.

"Get out of the way," someone shouts.

A throbbing pain explodes through my head and I collapse onto the floor.

Someone blows a whistle which hurts my head. Trent's blurry face appears in front of my vision.

"Marley, say something," he nervously yells. "I love you."

"I . . ." I gasp.

My head throbs with pain.

The events of high school.

The accident on the field.

My time as a ghost.

Trent.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

Trent looks around, then directs people to leave so that I've got space to breath. Unwillingly, Sarah walks towards Josh to cuddle him.

"I didn't want to scare you off with the 'I love you thing'," he comments.

"No." I frown. "I was a ghost."

"That." He chuckles. "Would you have believed me?"

"No?"

"Well then, shut up and kiss me, Mars, because that's over now and we don't need to worry about it."

* * * * *