Chapter Twenty Five

Trent

Adam punches the dashboard and hisses. He shakes his hand, then slowly spreads his fingers and inspects the red skin around his knuckles.

"Don't break my car, it's expensive." I glare.

He looks out the window, while I try to focus on the road. I'm falling to pieces and I can't let Adam know how much this hurts because I'd look insane admitting that I'm falling for Marley, especially while she's a ghost.

Adam pushes his fingers through his hair and tugs on the strands.

"Beating up my car or yourself isn't going to change what's happening."

"I'm sorry." He sighs.

I wish I could punch something, scream, but I can't. I need to get us to the hospital and pray that everything is okay. She has to be okay.

Once we're at the hospital, we race inside and slide into the first available elevator. An older lady clasps onto the metal railing while I tug on a smile.

"Hi."

She shoots us a frown and I shrug. Adam hits the buttons on the elevator and eventually, the doors close and we're moving.

When the door opens, we run down the hallway and weave between the people. Adam skids to a stop and I slide into his side. He opens the door and we pile into the room.

Her mother clings to her father, pink cheeks and a soggy tissue clasped in her hand.

"What's happening?" Adam asks.

Her mother bursts into another round of sobs. Her father squeezes her tightly and kisses her forehead.

"The doctors believe there isn't a good chance she'll recover from this."

Adam punches the wall beside us and bangs his head against the wall. He turns around, his body shaking like a leaf on a cold winter day.

"Bullshit, I call bullshit! She's going to wake up, there's nothing else to it."

"We need to consider the alternative now." She sniffles.

"So what, you're giving up on Marley now?"

"Don't you dare say that." His father growls. "We love Marley and we'd never stop fighting for her, but at some point, you need to accept reality." A small tear trickles down his cheek.

"Would you say the same if Mum was laying in that bed?"

"Shut your mouth, Adam."

Adam storms outside, leaving me graspling.

Do I follow or do I stay?

I take a seat beside Marley and glasp her warm hand in mine. I press my lips against her soft skin and squeeze her hand.

"Please get better, I need you."

"There's still a chance, a slim chance, but still a chance."

I know she'll wake up, she just has to.

I run my hand over my face and sigh.

"What happens if she wakes up?"

"She could have a loss of memory or movement. The puck did some real damage."

"Marley can get through this," I whisper.

The pair clutch onto each other and gaze at their daughter. It's strange seeing her like this, but now I have, it's putting the whole situation into a harsh reality.

I might really lose her.

* * * * *