LIES: part 6

||KYNDALL POV||

I didn't follow Josh to the music room. I thought he needed to be with Tyler, alone, so I joined Jenna in the kitchen. She was wiping off the griddle and storing it back in the cabinet.

"You look like you could use some help."

"That would be amazing," she said with a smile. I grabbed a damp rag and started wiping the flower off of the multiple surfaces it covered. The sound of clinking dishes filled the kitchen as Jenna scrubbed them in the sink.

"So how did you and josh meet?" She asked.

"Oh... We were snowboarding."

Don't think about it.

"Oh yeah! Josh loves this time of year. He gets to go out on the slopes, and nobody recognizes him because of the goggles and stuff." She said.

What? Why would he be worried?

"What do you mean?" I asked. The clinking dishes paused for a second.

"Oh, nothing." She continued. I tried so hard not to let that bother me, but it did. What the hell was everyone keeping from me?

"How long have you an Tyler been married?" I asked.

"Almost a year, and it's been a great one." She said. I could hear the smile in her voice. She turned off the sink.

"Has Josh been seeing anyone?" I accidentally let the question slip without even thinking about it. She smiled at me.

"He's had a few girlfriends in the past. He's having trouble finding something that will last, which sucks because his age." She started the dishwasher.

"Wait a minute... How old is he?" I asked. He couldn't be older than 24.

"He's 27, how come?"

I sighed and set the rag down. What was I thinking.

"Kyndall, how old are you?" Jenna asked.

"I'm only 18, I just graduated early." I said, sort of defeated.

"Oh.... I don't know what this means."

"Me neither. But we're not a thing, why is it even a big deal?"

"I don't know, he's taken a liking to you," Jenna gave me a knowing smile.

He has?!?!

"Oh," I looked down and started wiping the counter again.

"I hope you at least think he's a good friend." She said.

"Definitely, he's great."

"I don't know how you feel about him, but I don't think that you're age is going to be a problem. Josh is a great guy, it'll be okay." Jenna touched my shoulder. I nodded.

"Here, I'll finish this up, why don't you go check on them," she suggested. I nodded and handed her he rag with a smile.

Walking into the music room and watching Josh, I couldn't help but think about what Jenna told me. Josh was 27, a grown man. I was merely an 18 year old, fresh out of high school. That sounded horrible. If my family knew...

"Hey, you okay Kyndall?" Tyler asked as they finished up their song.

"Huh? Oh yeah, I'm fine." I lied, sitting in one of the chairs.

"Okay, I need a drink," Tyler stood up and walked out, leaving me and josh. I felt so awkward.

"I didn't know you were 27," I blurted out, instantly regretting it. He gave me a confused look.