Trouble at Home

Author Note: yea not a whole lot of talking or anything in this chapter, but theirs gonna be more in the next one. think of this as a synopsis of the first 40 years or so of her existence as a vampire.

Chapter 1: Facing Truths:

"Clara," I got up from the table. Running to meet my brother, Jasper outside our southern home "Clara!" he called out again. Jasper was a major for the Confederates, fighting to north since all we wanted was to be our own country. He'd come back to Texas a week before and was waiting to leave for a new battle soon.

"Yes brother," I called making my way up the stairs to the porch where he was waiting "What is it?"

"I'm going to town Clara, and I need you to behave. Mother and Father will be home soon, do you understand?" I smiled at him, and stuck my tongue out. "Cute, but really I'm serious. your twelve years old. You need to start to grow up, I'll be home before dark." With that my brother crossed the yard to his horse, riding off into the woods and down to the trail that would lead him to town.

"Goodbye brother!" I called out to him. He waved but didn't yell anything back. Thunder rolled over our town of Houston as the day was turning to twilight, the clouds began to circle and it was clear a storm was coming. Balls of light lit up the sky, and the thought of my brother's safety crossed my mind.

"I wonder where Jasper is," I sighed "Nellie what time did he saw he was getting back?"

Nellie had been overseeing the family since her brother was a baby "At sundown miss, but it would'nt be unlike him to be late." She rolled her eyes "Maybe he's lost, or just riding that crazy horse to death." she sounded as nervous as I felt. We were optimistic though, I waiting for Jasper to return that night, and the night after that, and so on.

My parents eventually gave up hope of seeing their son again. I left a candle burning in his bedroom window, which faced the wood where he'd gone. It was the color of gold, and was made by Nellie herself with the bees that our house kept. No matter how much she said Jasper was a pain, she raise him, and loved him.

Soon however, a week turned to a month, then a year, another year, it was on the third year that the light died, ending the glow so similar to the sun. That was also the day I considered my brother dead. It was on a summer day in the fourth year that I realized how wrong I was.

I was the woods, being a young girl I never thought much about being alone, how unsafe it was for a human. I had ventured far into the tall trees to pick the flowers of the woods, they always had the pretties flowers at least in my eyes.

I was getting to near the edge I assume, because the next thing I remember was tumbling to the ground, falling and landing near a barn... and my brother. The first thought that came to mind was I must've been dead, but feeling the gash at my forehead told me otherwise, as it bled rapidly. Jasper was at the side of a barn fighting with another man. I waited for the other man to leave before I approached him.

"Jasper!" I called out, hiding in the bushes. His head shot up "Jasper." he was at my side in a flash, his cold hand clamped tightly over my mouth, the other moving my strawberry blonde hair from the wound, giving it a good look.

"Clara, dear god, what are you doing here and what happened to your head?" He shook as if so angry he could burst ",It.. it doesn't matter you.. have to go now! Now!" I grabbed my brothers wrist and held it down as hard as I could.

"No Jasper, not without you." I stood my ground "you shouldn't be here either. you must come home" my brother shook off my hand. "Mother and Father miss you a terrible lot." I begged.

"Clara listen." he grabbed my face with his hands "you must listen. I have to stay, you have to go. before they find you. It's too later for me Clara." He turned me around and forced me to begin to walk back, but I stopped.