One

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

I was crying, though I can't recall why. The sobs racked at my chest. I gripped at a shirt, clenching my eyes shut. The fabric stuck to my face as the person held me against them, trying to calm me. They seemed to be the only thing grounding me as they slid a hand against my back, whispering to me. 

"It'll be alright, (y/n). You'll see me soon." The voice was male, and I could hear his accent. I opened my eyes at his words, tilting my head up to catch blonde, but everything else seemed blurred. The world around me seemed so watery. 

"I won't remember anything," I argued with a shake of my head. "My parents, my brother, you. I don't want to forget all of the moments we've shared and what we've been through together." I continued, fresh tears falling down my face. The boy hugged me tighter. 

"We'll always find each other. Okay? We don't need our memories for the feeling to still be there, for the connection." I nodded, slow and hesitant, sniffling. Some part of me knew he was right, but my resistance to the idea was still prominent. Wherever I was going, I really didn't want to be there. The boy kissed my forehead and brushed his fingers through my hair. "I promise that we'll be okay." He finally murmured into the quiet. I couldn't find it in me to reply.

I could hear the clock ticking from somewhere in the room. The turning of the hands that made minutes feel like mere seconds until the door opened. My eyes flickered over to the door. A woman and two guards stood there. The guards had guns strapped to their side, ready to be pulled if needed. But I knew the guns weren't meant to be used on someone like me. No, there was others that were more dangerous, somewhere beyond whatever this place was. 

"(y/n), the time has come." The woman said. The single sentence made sick. Suddenly everything was too fast, too soon. I held on tighter to the boy, squeezing my eyes shut as if that would make the woman and her guards disappear. The boy was whispering my name, telling me I had to let go, whispering to me about how it would still be okay. I could tell he was trying to calm me down, but now that I was actively being taken away, his words didn't help anymore. 

The guards came over and pried me off of the boy. I fought them on it, tugging my arms away, even when I was off the boy. His face was still washed out as I fought, pulling my arms away. The boy's blonde hair glinted in the light, a bright gold that shimmered as I was dragged away. 

"(y/n), remember what I said! I promised!" The boy called, then the door was shut, a sudden finality to whatever comfort I had left. I was lifted up off the ground as I swung my feet, thrashing in the hold. The woman was calm as she watched, saying nothing else as the guards tightened their grip on my arm. 

"Let me go! I don't want to do this anymore!" I screeched as I threw my legs back. Doors passed by us before the woman moved forward to open one, and I was let in. A third guard was inside, and he quickly moved forward to help strap me down. I looked around, frantic now I was restrained. The woman came back into view, her red hair the only color in the room. Someone (a doctor?) else came into focus, someone I didn't know. A needle was in his hand, and attached to it was a vial with clear liquid. I yanked on the restraints. 

"No, no, no!" I cried out, shaking my head. But a guard only helped pull up my sleeve and keep my arm still as the doctor inserted the needle, injecting the liquid. Whatever blurred world I had became worse as I shook my head, suddenly feeling nauseous. The guards moved, standing at the side of the room. 

"Take her, she's ready." The woman instructed as my eyes fluttered. The red of her hair hovered in my eyesight as she bent beside me. "Remember, (y/n), WICKED is good."

~

I shot up, coughing. Water dribbled from my lips as I looked around. Everything was dark, but I was sure I was moving. Metal pressed against my back, and something screeched around me as the box moved faster. I fell back, my hands pressing against the ground beneath me. It was freezing against my fingers. A quick stream of light passed by me, highlighting the silhouettes of boxes around me, then it was dark again. I shuddered, crawling over to a set of the boxes. I felt along their outlines. The crate itself was a smooth wood, but I couldn't see what was inside as the box whirred.

"Where am I?" My voice was soft, a small break into the stale air. The box passed by another small light, then it was gone. My eyes were slow to adjust to the dark as I clung onto the side of the box. My hair clung to my forehead and cheekbones, and it took me a moment to realize how much I was sweating. It was hot in here. I reached into the crate, and ended up fumbling with something metal. I couldn't look at it though, as a small alarm sounded, then the box sped up. 

I fell back, hitting my head on one of the other crates. I hissed out, tears springing in my eyes at the quick wave of pain. I moved my hands to hold over my head. The box passed more lights as it went further up, but it was all a blur from how fast I was going. I groaned, staring at the ceiling as I held my head. I tried to think of where I would be going, yet nothing came to me. 

After what felt like several minutes, the box jolted to a stop. The metal slammed into something else, shaking me. I slowly pushed myself up as the box shook, then the top opened to reveal a bright light. I put a hand over my face, blinking rapidly. Being in the dark so long did my eyes no favors as I tried to peek through my fingers. Slowly, I made out the figures of three boys that were standing around the entrance of the box, all staring down at me. The sun was behind them, and they were barely blocking me from its rays. The boy in the middle jumped down to meet me in the box. He stretched out a hand, and I took it despite my hesitance. I didn't know who these people were, but maybe they'd be able to help me.

"My name is Alby." The boy introduced with a smile. "This shank over here," he pointed to the boy on the right with black hair. "His name is Minho, and the other is Ben." I looked to the boy with sandy blonde hair on the left. Ben sent me a smile, reaching out a hand to me. I grabbed his hand and he quickly pulled me out of the box with no trouble. I whispered a thanks as I turned in my spot, looking around. There were walls surrounding the area in a circular shape. In one place there seemed to be a few buildings, some finished and some half built. A lot of trees surrounded the area. I stopped turning when I faced the three boys again. Minho was squatting down to the box as Alby reached up, pushing one of the crates out. Ben looked at the two, then at me. 

"Do you know your name?" Ben asked me. I swallowed, thinking back in my mind. It wasn't until now that I realized I really couldn't remember more than from when I woke up in the metal box. Until one word sprung in my mind, repeating like a mantra.

"I... I'm (y/n)." I managed to get out. Minho walked passed with one of the crates, a small smile playing on his lips.

"Well (y/n), welcome to The Glade."

Author's Note: It has been a while since I wrote this book, but I've decided I'm going to rewrite the chapters of this book (a second time) as well as add it to Archive of Our Own as I edit (details will be up when I finish the book on there). Thank you all for reading and I hope you enjoy, whether you are a new or old reader :)

Original Publish Date: July 30, 2016