Twelve

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

The monster- Griever, it's a Griever-  swung me in its hold. I grunted as I hit the wall, hands scratching at the vines, some sort of traction to keep me from being pulled along. When I was pulled, the vines broke in my hands. 

"Shuck." I whispered as I dropped the vines. The claw on my waist squeezed tighter as the Griever turned the corner. Two others stood at the end of the corridor. I pushed against the claw of the Griever's tail as the two approached, chittering until they were all face to face. 

Suddenly, I was yanked towards the ground and I screamed at the sudden movement. I looked above me and realized one of the other Grievers had tried to grab me. The third crawled along the wall, grasping for me. I was yanked over again. Both of the new Grievers tried going after me together, and the Griever holding me shrieked, throwing me in the air and down the corridor, away from the other two Grievers. I slammed into the ground on my left hand as I tried to catch myself. A searing pain crawled through my arm and I screamed. The Grievers froze, looking towards me as if they were unsure, as if they had never heard a human scream before. 

One of the Grievers turned, scrambling away. I held my arm close to my chest, pushing myself up and taking my chance as I began to run. I could hear the metal legs of the other two Grievers behind me. I knew I couldn't outrun them, but maybe I could outsmart them, I just had to find a way how.

~

I turned a corner, huffing for breath. A few times I have hid and tricked the Grievers into walking past me, but they always came back, and each break I got was shorter than the last, as if I was teaching them how to track a human. 

Near me I heard one of the walls shifting. Something in my mind reminded me of the way Newt talked of the walls moving in the maze and changing week by week. I looked around me, pausing as my legs ached, then I began to run towards the sound of the walls. This was my chance to survive, and if I didn't separate myself completely from the Grievers soon, I wouldn't make it. 

I ran forward, turning a few more corridors before I found it where the walls were changing. When I reached the closing walls, I heard the Grievers shrieking behind me, both coming fast. 

I pushed harder in my run, brushing fingers against the wall to keep track of how much space I had. Halfway through my run, I felt something slash along my back. I cried out, stumbling, but then I caught myself and kept moving. I didn't want to become Griever food, and I didn't want to become smashed into a pancake either.  

Just as I escaped the walls, something gripped at my leg, making me fall down. I groaned, holding my chin as I tried to turn, but found I couldn't as the Griever was holding onto my leg with its mouth, sinking in needle like teeth into my flesh. I hissed through my teeth, kicking at the Griever with my feet, hoping it would just let go. When the doors closed, the grip of the Griever fell slack. I reached, prying open its mouth, grimacing at the new flash of pain in my leg. I stumbled up, holding in any sounds of pain as I tried not to let my leg touch the ground. I didn't know where I was, but maybe I could find my way back before any other Grievers found me. 

~ Ben's P.O.V. ~

Minho and I headed towards the Maze doors. While Alby hasn't said it outright, our job today was to look for clues that could lead us to (y/n), see if she was still out there. We had heard her scream a few times, as well as the Grievers own screeches. I had stayed with Newt through the night, though he barely slept. Every time he went to sleep he would wake up, pale and sweaty, grasping at the bed. Only when Clint came in and gave him more medicine, did Newt completely pass out. When I left this morning, he was still out like a light. 

"What are you thinking about?" Minho questioned, breaking my thoughts. I noted in my mind that no one had scratched out her name on the wall yet, they didn't have the heart to.

"The same thing everyone has been thinking about." Minho hummed, leaning against the wall. 

"Was Newt okay?" I looked up at the sky, at the signs of a slow rising sun. I slowly shook my head. 

"He didn't sleep until Clint gave him medicine." Minho sighed. Behind us the doors slowly slid open. Minho looked at me, a frown on his face, then we both began to run. 

Minho was the first to stop when we reached the corner. I slid into him, but neither of us fell. Halfway down the corridor (y/n) clung to the vines on the wall, half kneeling down. 

"(y/n)?" My voice was soft as I ran to her. Her eyes fluttered open, she moaned out in pain when I grabbed at her arm. Minho came beside me and I looked to him. 

"We have to get her to the Med-jack hut. I- I'll carry her. You get Clint and Jeff." I moved her, uncurling her fingers from around the vines. (y/n) collapsed against me. Minho was already gone by the time I stood. 

"I got you, (y/n)." I whispered. She murmured, trying to shift, but then she winced, eyes falling closed. I held her close, beginning to run towards the Med-jack hut. 

~ Newt's P.O.V. ~

I opened my eyes, groaning as I turned, momentarily forgetting the broken leg I had. I froze when I heard yelling. 

"-hurry up, Ben!" I pushed myself up, blinking. 

"I'm trying but she is-" The door slammed open. I saw Clint and Jeff both rush by the room door. They were yelling back and forth on what supplies to get. Next through the door was Minho. 

"Minho, set a bed!" Clint called from a back room. Minho came into the room, barely giving me a look as he grabbed at the second bed, pulling it to the middle of the room. He moved little pillows around a specific way and a thin blanket as Ben came in. 

"Minho, move." Ben grunted and I looked to his arms, eyes widening. (y/n) was slumped, hair covering her face as he held her. Minho moved as Ben asked, and Ben set her on the bed as gently as he could. Behind him, Clint and Jeff came in, arms full of different things. Clint set his stuff down, muttering to Jeff to prepare something. He pushed past Ben, putting his fingers to (y/n) neck.

"Her pulse is there. It is getting weak, but it's there." Jeff came to Clint's side, needle full of something. He wiped at an area on her leg with a small rag, then he injected the needle into her. Ben came to my side, quiet as we both watch Jeff and Clint work.  

"She was almost to the door, barely conscious, but we got her, Newt, we got her." Ben whispered. I swallowed, nodding as I watched Clint and Jeff wash and care for her wounds, starting with her leg first. I studied (y/n). Her face was cut and bruised, her arm was set in an angle, and her clothing was covered in dried blood, yet as I stared at her face, I felt love and gratefulness bloom my chest. She was alive. (y/n) was alive.

Original Publish Date: August 13, 2016