Thirteen

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

I sat on the little hill Newt had found me at during his first night in the Glade. I watched as different boys rushed across the Glade, some working for Gally in building, others were helping Newt in the garden. It had been almost six months since my night in the Maze, and for the first two and a half months after Newt had to carry me. Now, I can walk, just not as quickly, and I often need help getting up or standing for long periods of time. 

I watched with a smile as Newt ruffled one of the boys hair before handing the fertilizer bucket to him. The boy took off into the woods. From the garden, Newt waved to me. I waved back, a small pang of guilt hitting me as he went back to picking weeds from the garden. Newt wasn't able to be a Runner anymore. After the incident with his leg, he wasn't able to run as fast, and he was constantly helping me, so he became a full time Track-hoe, as well as Alby's Second in Command. 

"Hey." I jumped slightly at the voice as the boy sat beside me. I looked, then frowned. The boy was the Greenie of this past month, George. His gray eyes squinted in a smile as he leaned on one palm, facing me. He flirted with me often, which made Newt upset to no end, but he was still in the garden, not looking up at me. 

"Hi." I looked back out at the Glade, watching as the boy from before, now I realized probably Dan, rushed out of the woods, holding the bucket up. Newt clapped for him, making me smile at how supportive he was of the newer Gladers, as some of the newer ones also seemed really young- too young- to be in this experiment, 

"What are you thinking about?" I shrugged. 

"The garden." George shrugged, leaning in on his legs. 

"Yeah, it's pretty cool since you worked so hard on it before... you know." I scoffed. 

"Before a Griever tried to eat off my leg. You might as well say it how it is." A slight breeze picked up through my hair as I looked to George. He looked down.

"Sorry." I sighed, looking away again. 

"It's fine. I know everyone talks about it. I mean, how else would you know?" George brushed his fingers through the grass. It reminded me of Newt the first night he was here, how we had watched the stars here. I looked up at him again, hoping to catch his stare. A tugging came in my stomach, but Newt didn't look up. 

"So, how have you been, beautiful?" I looked at him, raising my eyebrows.

"Shouldn't you be with Gally?" I asked. George froze, hesitating for a second. 

"I mean, Chris and Alby are with him." I whistled low. 

"You trying to get on Gally's bad side? Being a Builder is very important to him. He doesn't take being a slacker very easily, and trust me, when Gally is mad, he's mad." George nodded, rubbing a hand on the back of his neck. Newt took a peek at me, then straightened completely when he saw George with me. I watched as he said something to the other two Track-hoes, then turned, probably to get Gally. 

"I know he gets mad, but maybe he won't know?" George's voice raised in pitch, but then he cleared his throat. "And it's worth it to be with a girl like you." I gave him a look and he pressed his lips into a line. 

"Oh, I'm think he'll know." I watched as Gally came around the corner of one of the buildings, Newt behind him. "Now, are you sure you want to stick by that statement?" I gestured a hand out to Gally, who in his anger had left Newt behind and was already halfway to us. George looked, choked on his breath and scrambled up. George barely breathed a farewell before he was running into the woods. Gally had picked up pace, also heading towards the treeline of the woods. 

Soon enough Newt made it up the hill to me. 

"The shank took advantage of the fact I wasn't here, huh?" I huffed a laugh. 

"He sure did." Newt sat beside me and I leaned my head on his shoulder. 

"How are they doing?" I asked him, referring to the Dan and Adam, who he left in the garden. 

"Dan is super excited about the garden still. He loves doing every little thing, like him getting the fertilizer today. Adam is getting a better hang on pulling weeds." I hummed, smiling as I watched Adam and Dan pull weeds throughout the garden. In the treeline near the garden, Gally came out with George in a headlock. From here I could tell it was loose, probably just to scare George.

"Why don't we go back to the Homestead so you can get out of the sun for a bit?" I nodded as Newt helped me up, placing his hand on my back while his other held my hand for balance as I walked down the hill with him. 

My eyes shifted over to the Homestead beside the Med-jack hut. Inside, mine and Newt's room was connected, as well as a few other rooms for others, like Ben and Alby, who shared a room, and Clint and Jeff, who also shared a room. My room was mostly sound proof for if I screamed out during my nightmares. For now, my nightmares had stopped a month after I was stuck in the Maze. Now, I had them sometimes, but not as often.  The last dream I could remember was a mix between being in the Maze and memory. 

In the dream, Newt and I were in another stage of the trials. We had to design a monster to prove the way we worked as a team. Our voices overlapped with the same ideas throughout the dream, and after we had finished and submitted our design, one that I later realized looked and acted much like a Griever, we had sat at the table and talked about the first day we had met. I was so nervous, I had never talked to a girl outside of my family, and so I didn't know what to do when Dr. Ava Paige was telling me I'd be friends with this cute girl. I smiled at the memory, though I know I woke up screaming shortly after that. Something was blocking me from remembering the rest, remembering the bad part. 

"(y/n)?" Newt's voice was hesitant as he led me into my room in the Homestead. 

"Yeah?" I turned my body to face him, and felt frozen by the way Newt was looking at me. His hands slid to hold my waist as I looked at him, stomach bubbling the way I knew it did before the Maze. My hands held onto his arms as we looked to each other. 

"(y/n), I really-" I slid a hand to the back of his neck, gently leaning him down while I reached up the best I could to meet him. Our lips met and I let my hand move to thread my fingers in his hair. I was the first to pull away, and Newt leaned further to give me another chaste kiss, then he placed his forehead against mine. I played with the hair at the nape of his neck as we stayed there for a moment. 

"I should probably get you to the bed before your leg gives out." I nodded slowly as Newt leaned back, a dazed look in his eyes. When he sat me down on my bed, he kissed me again, smiling as he pulled away. 

"I really do like you..." Newt whispered, moving to sit beside me on the bed as he finished his sentence from earlier. I smiled at him.

"I really like you too." My voice was hushed as I leaned over to kiss him again. 

Original Publish Date: August 18, 2016