Eight

~ Newt's P.O.V. ~

I woke up to someone gently shaking me. 

"Newt, come on. Wake up. It's our first day." I slowly opened my eyes, seeing Ben bent down beside me. I sat up, quickly looking behind him at (y/n). She was still asleep, then I looked up at the sky. The sun was just coming up. "The doors are about to open, come on. We gotta meet me Minho by the door. I got you a bag packed." Ben held up a small bag and I nodded, rubbing at my eyes. 

"Alright. I'll get my shoes." I got up, quickly putting on my shoes. When I stood, I looked at (y/n). Her hand clenched the side of the hammock, but she looked like she was sleeping fine. I looked back to Ben. "I'm ready."                       

When we got to the wall, the doors were still closed, but Minho was looking over at the wall of names. 

"(y/n) brought you here?" Minho asked as me and Ben approached. Minho stepped a little ways away from the wall, revealing my name that was etched into the wall. Only inches away was (y/n)'s name. I nodded. 

"Yeah. Last night." Minho hummed, looking back at the wall for a moment as the door began to open. Ben passed me the bag he had packed for me. I put it on quickly, looking over at the two, then we entered through the door. 

The walls were all covered with ivy and vines, all the way to the top, and the ground was stone, like the walls. When we reached a split in the path, Ben looked at me and Minho. 

"How do we find our way back?" We all stood quiet for a moment, then a faint memory came to mind. 

"With breadcrumbs." I whispered.  

"What?" Minho gave me a look, eyes widening as I took out my knife. Both Ben and MInho stepped back. I walked to the wall then ran a few feet, cutting a few vines as I went, then I stopped and turned around. 

"Like this maybe?" Ben nodded and I passed Minho my knife as he took the lead. As we ran, only more vine covered walls were revealed, with many turns and twists, even some dead ends. 

We ran for a few hours then stopped for lunch. I sat on the ground and pulled out my sandwich. As I ate, I noticed Ben had a pencil and paper out. He was marking on the paper in between bites of food. 

"What are you doing, Ben?" I looked at Minho as he asked, seeing he had been watching Ben as well.

"I'm mapping out where we've been going." He finished up with the marks he made, then looked at us. "We should go after this, we don't have a way to tell time at the moment and we don't want to risk getting stuck in here. We don't know what's out here." Minho and I nodded. I most definitely did not want to get stuck out here, especially after spending time listening to what is trapped in here at night.

~

(y/n) was waiting by the wall when we ran through. The sun was barely beginning to go down. She was bouncing a stone in her hand under the section of names on the wall. She looked up when we passed through the doorway, smiling as she dropped the stone, getting up. 

"You guys are safe." Relief filled her words as she came to us, hugging Ben first, then me. 

"It's almost as if you didn't expect us to be." Minho scoffed behind me as (y/n) let me out of the hug. "And as if I don't exist. Aren't you happy I'm alive?" (y/n) raised a hand.

"High five for your survival?" Minho frowned, yet lifted his hand to high five hers as the other boys came to crowd around us. 

"What was it like?" Jeff asked, eagerly, eyes shifting to look down the large stone corridor. 

"Did you find anything?" Clint added. "Is there a way out of here? To a different place?" Other boys questions to us began to overlap, but (y/n) held up her hand. 

"Calm down guys. You know we have to wait for Alby to talk about what is beyond those walls."  The boys went quiet, nodding. (y/n) smiled at me again as we waited, making the tugging feeling come back to me. 

"What'd you find?" Alby called as he walked over. The boys parted for Alby to stand closer to us and Ben handed over his paper pad to Alby. (y/n) moved to look over Alby's shoulder. 

"There was some dead ends and lots of different paths and twist and turns," I started, moving to also look at the paper.  "So we came to the conclusion while running back that..." I paused. (y/n) looked at me. 

"It's a maze." She said for me. "We're at the center of it." Alby looked up from the paper at the two of us. 

"How do you know at the center?" Alby questioned.

"There's four doors, and if you go through one door and find a maze, then the rest also logically have an entrance to said maze. We aren't the way out, we are trapped in it. Like a box." Some of the boys grumbled at (y/n)'s observation. Alby looked at Ben, Minho, and me. 

"We'll talk about this. Everyone else, get back to your jobs." The boys left, and Alby gave (y/n) a look. She huffed, nodding. 

"Yeah, yeah." She began to walk off, but Alby stopped her. 

"Take Newt with you. We can have Runners switch jobs since we don't need three running all the time right now. Teach him gardening. I will talk to Minho and Ben." (y/n) nodded, waving her hand at me to follow. 

"Go on, Greenie, we'll update you later." Ben said from behind me. I nodded, and jogged to catch up with (y/n). 

Original Publish Date: August 2, 2016