Twenty-one

~ Newt's P.O.V. ~

I pushed (y/n)'s wheelchair out of the door and started to head towards the kitchen. (y/n) had told me about her nightmare as we got ready for the day. I frowned at her talking about being in the tube, the girl with raven black hair.

When we we go to the tables, I moved (y/n) to the table we usually sat at. I gently moved her to sit on the bench, then I headed to the kitchen to get our food. When I came back, Chuck and Ben were already sitting down. I placed (y/n)'s plate in front of her as Chuck went into an elaborate story on how the Greenie, now know by Thomas, had remembered his name. Halfway through our meal, Minho had come over to retrieve Ben for their run. As they left, Alby brought Thomas over to our table.

"Do you guys mind if I sit here?" Thomas asked, holding the plate of food in front of him. He looked nervous as he looked at us, eyes finally landing (y/n). He must've heard her screams this morning if Alby had taken him to the wall. 

"Not at all." (y/n) said as she looked up. She froze for a second, studying him. I grabbed her hand, and her bewildered look melted into a smiled as Thomas sat down beside Chuck. 

"We didn't get to meet yesterday, but I'm (y/n)." Thomas glanced to me, then looked at her, shaking her outstretched hand. 

"Thomas." (y/n) took her hand away as she nodded.

"You'll probably be in the garden with us today. Usually Greenies start in the garden, then work their way around." Chuck smiled at Thomas.

"The garden is fun." Thomas nodded as he began to eat. 

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V ~

"Have you tried climbing to the top?" I nodded, sitting in my wheelchair beside the fencing of the garden. 

"Yes, but the vines are weaker towards top. They only break and you fall." 

"What about the Box?" Newt shook his head. 

"We tried. It won't go down with someone in it." 

"What about climbing down the hole when the Box goes down?" I swallowed, shaking my head, thinking to George. 

"We tried that too." 

"What about-" 

"We tried it, three times." Newt and me said together. Tommy looked at us, confused and wide-eyed. 

"Look, Tommy, we've tried everything we can think of. Only way out is through the maze." I gently told him and he just nodded, looking disappointed. I sighed, looking around, then I grabbed at our fertilizer bucket. "Hey, Tommy, it looks like they're getting low on fertilizer, how about me and you go get some, okay?" Tommy put aside his shovel, nodding. I looked to Newt, who was digging small holes in the ground.

"Newt, I'm gonna show Tommy where the fertilizer is, okay? Dan, make sure my garden doesn't get destroyed." Newt looked up, smiling at me.

"Geez, where is the trust?" I rolled my eyes, blowing a kiss to Newt, which he 'caught' and put to his heart. I looked to Tommy as he got behind my wheelchair and I began directing him where to go. 

~

The bushes near us began rustling, and I made Tommy stop. I squinted my eyes while looking out.

"Maybe it's just a bug or a wild animal." Tommy suggested.

"Maybe." I scrunched my nose, look briefly at Tommy. When I looked at him, he seemed frozen. "Tom-" I turned to see what he was looking at, feeling a heavy feeling settle on me. In front of us stood Ben, clenching his fists.