Thirty-one

~ Newt's P.O.V. ~

We walked down a hallway after leaving the dark room where we shut down the Maze. The lights above us were flickering, and my side was beginning to ache, but I pushed on, holding (y/n) close. Dan kept close to my side as we continued forward. After minutes of walking, we came to a door that at the end of the hallway. Above it, in glowing, red letters was the word "Exit."

"Seriously?" Frypan muttered and I smiled. Minho sighed, then opened the door. The smell hit my nose first and I shook my head, wanting to rid the smell of blood, sickness, and decay. The rest of the Gladers paused for a moment as well, hesitating before we walked through the next hallway. I saw Tommy pull Chuck close to him, trying to limit Chuck's sight of the bodies on the ground around us. In my arms, (y/n) stirred slightly, but she didn't open her eyes, just tried to bury her face more into my shirt.

A lot of the lights in this hall were either dim, or completely turned off. At the end of the hallway, it opened up to be a room. Along the walls were similar screens we had used to shut off the Grievers, but they had more wires and seemed more complex. I stared at one of the screens. It showed pictures of many of the Gladers with their heartbeat and brain activity by their picture. I even saw me and (y/n) up there. I felt a flash of anger at the fact we were being tracked so closely and thoroughly, but relieved at the same time to see her heartbeat was still going strongly along the screen.

"They were keeping track of us the whole time." I looked to see Winston beside me as he also stared at the screen. Some of the other Gladers had moved towards the screen to look and I moved away.

I found Tommy standing in front of a huge screen with a blinking blue button a little ways away from where the rest of the Gladers stood. Tommy was biting his lip, looking at the button with a conflicted look.

"Push it." I whispered to him, and Tommy jumped as if he hadn't heard me walk up. He looked at me for a moment, then looked back at the screen, gently pushing the button. The screen flashed on and a lady appeared on the screen, and I realized I knew her, not from memory but from (y/n)'s descriptions of her dreams. It was Dr. Ava Paige.

Dr. Ava began going into the sun, the Scorch, and a disease called the Flare, and how all of this began the experiments. I felt (y/n) shift in my arms as Dr. Ava spoke, and I looked down, seeing she was awake. (y/n) was also watching, so I looked back up to the screens.

Dr. Ava only touched briefly on the subject of partners. Behind her, men came into the room shooting.

"It may be too late for us, for me. But not for you. The outside world awaits. Remember, WICKED is good." Dr. Ava gave a small smile to the camera as she placed a small gun to her head. I looked away as she pulled the trigger. When the screen went out, a metal door began to open.

"This is it, we're free." I heard Chuck say. I could hear the smile in his voice. Tommy nodded beside me.

"Yeah, we're free." (y/n) gripped onto my shirt as we went to move forward, but an unfamiliar click came from behind us.

"Stop!" I turned slowly, along with the other Gladers. Gally stood, his eyes were dark and the same grayish green veins Ben used to have was trailing down Gally's right arm. In his left hand he held a gun, pointing it at us. "Don't take another step."

"Gally, c'mon, we're free. You can come with us." Tommy moved to step forward, hands in front of him. Teresa grabbed at him, pulling him back.

"He's been stung." Teresa's voice was quiet and a new silence fell over us. Gally turned to point the gun at Tommy.

"You ruined it all, Thomas. You ruined our only home." Tommy shook his head.

"We're free now, Gally. We can leave, make a safer home, a better one." Gally shook his head, holding the gun with both hands now.

"No. The Glade had an order, which made it safe. It was the best home we had, until you came a along." Gally's voice was a growl. I felt (y/n) shift in my arms, briefly her hand had slid against my back. "It won't be okay until you're gone, Thomas..." The gun clicked, then a loud "bang" echoed through the small room. (y/n) rolled herself out of my arms, a knife flying from her hand. I heard her grunt below me, but I could only stare at Gally as he stumbled back, then fell, a small knife handle sticking out from right below his ribs. It took me a moment to realize that was why (y/n) had her hand against my back, she had been searching for one of my knives.

"Chuck, come on, you can't leave me, not like this." I turned at Tommy's voice. Chuck was on the floor, a blood spot spreading across his shirt. I heard (y/n) gasp below me and I bent down to be at her side. I realized she had begun to cry as Chuck shoved something into Tommy's hands.

"No, no Chuck, you gotta give it to them yourself, remember? I promised. I promised." Tommy was crying, gripping at Chuck. Chuck gave him a small smile.

"It's okay Thomas." Chuck drew in a shaky breath, then he was gone.

"No!" Tommy screamed out, holding Chuck closer to him. (y/n) turned to me, gripping onto my shirt as she cried. I blinked back my own tears, scooping (y/n) up in my arms and holding her close to me.

Behind Tommy, a bright light shined, then men came running in. I stood as they began to rush us out.

"Hurry! We don't have much time! Go, go, go!" Tommy shook his head, refusing to leave. I felt an ache hit me as they dragged him away, screaming. I ran with (y/n) in my arms to this big black machine with blades on its top.

"It's a helicopter." (y/n) whispered, but I barely caught it with all the noise that emitted from the helicopter. I jumped in and sat in a corner, holding (y/n) close in my arms. When all of the surviving Gladers were in, the men who helped us out climbed in as well, then closed the door behind them. The helicopter began to lift and I looked out of the window as we went higher, seeing a large building surrounded by sand. In the middle was a circular dome, where I could only assume was where the Maze had been.

I looked back down at (y/n), who had closed her eyes again. I could see she had begun to bleed through the bandage on her leg. I kissed her forehead gently, a small smile on my face at the fact we had finally escaped the Maze.

"I love you, (y/n)." I whispered. I leaned my head against the helicopter wall, closing my eyes to fall asleep myself.

Authors Note : Hey guys! That was the last chapter to this book. I hope you all enjoyed the story. Thank you all for all the support you've given me for this story, I really appreciate it! I'll let you guys know about when I have the sequel up. I hope you all have a fantastic day/night! :)

Original Publish Date: December 29, 2016