Thirty

~ Newt's P.O.V. ~

"Right around this corner is the entrance for us to escape, but there's also a lot of Grievers as well. Teresa, Chuck and I will all go through and try to find the way to get in. I need you guys to defend us as we go through and figure the way out." Tommy looked at us and we all nodded. I gripped at the handles on (y/n)'s wheelchair tightly. (y/n) reached her hand back briefly, grabbing and squeezing my hand. We both knew it could be difficult getting her through because she couldn't walk.

Tommy turned back to face the corner, counting down from three with his fingers. When the last finger was down, we all turned the corner, some of us yelling to draw attention away from Tommy, Teresa, and Chuck running down the middle. The Gladers held up their knives, or the wooden spears they had brought with them.

I watched as one of the Grievers grabbed at Dmitri, one of our Track-hoes. The Griever threw him over the edge and (y/n) cried out. Last minute, Dmitri threw this spear, stabbing through where the Griever's eyes would be if it had any. The Griever slumped, screeching out and trying to pull the spear out.

Another Griever got pushed over the edge by a group of Gladers, their triumph short lived as the Griever took two boys down with it.

I pushed (y/n) forward, hoping I could make her to the entrance without being caught, but a Griever approached us quickly, scuttling over the group of Gladers it had been cornered by. The Griever screeched, and I watched as (y/n) curled into her chair, hands over her ears. I stopped, grabbing a lost wooden spear off of the ground. I stepped in front of (y/n), holding the spear out. I push the spear forward when the Griever came close, trying to stab it, but the Griever grabbed the spear, snapping the end of it and yanking me forward.

"Newt!" (y/n) called out as the Griever flung me, and I slid across the the ground until I hit a wall. I groaned, holding my side and lifting me head when I heard (y/n) scream. The Griever had grabbed (y/n), holding her upside down. It swiped at her chair and sent it skidding over the edge. I stumbled up, realizing my side was bleeding as the Griever threw her up to catch her. I watched as the claw went tight on her waist, drawing blood.

I pushed away from the wall, trying to go to (y/n), but I couldn't balance myself, still thrown off from hitting the wall. From the corner of my eye, I saw Minho come running to me, seeing me struggle. He helped me up and I thanked him, quickly looking back to (y/n). I watched her lips move as if she was saying something, then she was thrown up again, caught, then thrown to the side. I felt my breath stop as she slipped over the cliff edge.

"(y/n)!" Minho pushed me through the entrance.

I stumbled into a dark, glossy room. In front of me, Tommy, Teresa, and Chuck were all panicking, pushing at different buttons on a keyboard.

"What are you shanks yelling about?" Tommy turned, mouth open.

"Newt? Why are you-" Teresa interrupted him. "The code won't work! All the words but the last one works." I walked over, still holding my side. I pushed passed them to look at a big illuminated screen. I looked around at all of the keys and buttons, until my eyes landed on a red button with the words 'Shut Down Maze' under it.

"What about this one?" I pressed it. A huge whirring filled the room, some lights around the screen began to go out, then Gladers began coming into the room. I stood by the door, waiting for (y/n). Dan came through the entrance, huffing. I waited for a moment, and when no one else came through, I looked to him.

"Where is Minho and (y/n)?" Dan turned to me, a frown coming to his face.

"They were just behind-" I heard Minho puffing as he came through the doorway. I turned as (y/n) groaned in pain. I looked to her leg, and along the side of her leg was a deep cut. Clint and Jeff pushed passed me, Clint pulling out a small bag as Minho set her down against the wall.

"(y/n)?" I knelt down beside her and she smiled, eyes fluttering. She hissed as Clint began cleaning the cut, then she reached up to cup my face, the smile stayed on her face until she closed her eyes again. Her hand fell away from my face as she slumped over. "No, no, no, (y/n), stay awake." I whispered, gently grabbing at her face and holding it up in my hands. I looked back to Minho.

"What happened?" Minho shoved a hand through his hair.

"I pushed you through the door so you wouldn't panic and do something stupid because you and (y/n) tend to get like that when it comes to helping each other. I saw her hands hanging onto the edge, so I ran over. I started helping her, and she had her torso up when something gripped at her, so then she grabbed at me. We both nearly went over the edge, but Dan also came to help. One of the Grievers had climbed up the wall and grabbed at her legs with the claw on its tail. Callum and Justin came over with their spears, and Callum threw his at the Griever just as they started to shut down. The claw gripped onto her tighter as it started to fall, and one of the edges of the tail is what cut really deep into her leg as it slipped down, then it let go and also fell." I looked away from Minho to Jeff, who was wrapping around (y/n)'s leg as Clint had it propped up.

"Thank you." I looked to (y/n), holding her hand.

"Can't leave anyone behind, especially not family." I smiled, nodding my head as Jeff and Clint finished bandaging her leg. I scooped (y/n) up in my arms.

"Let's go. We still have to leave this place."

Original Publish Date: December 29, 2016