Fourteen

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

Newt and I sat on the hill watching over the Glade. There wasn't much to do in the garden, so Newt let Adam, Dan, and Callum (our newest addition) off of work for today. I looked at him, a small smile on my face. It had been two months since mine and Newt's first kiss, and ever since then we've shared many moments of long held physical contact, or secret kisses before bed. None of the other Gladers seemed to notice the difference between us in the first month, as neither Newt or I said anything about our newfound relationship, and we both felt like we wouldn't have to. The second month, however was a different story, as Minho was the first to notice at the celebration for our newest Greenie, when I had been huddled into Newt's side in front of the fire. After that, Minho teased us endlessly, and sometimes the other Gladers would join in, sometimes they wouldn't.

"What are you thinking about?" I lay my head on his shoulder, sighing.

"You." Newt was silent to my answer at first, probably unused to the straight forwardness of my reply.

"Me, huh?" His voice was soft as he moved an arm around me, holding me closer to him. "Well, I could say the same thing about you, love." Something fluttered in my stomach at the name and I smiled at Newt. It was quiet, really quiet, as Newt cupped my face, leaning forward to give me a gentle kiss. When he pulled away, he smiled smiled at me.

"Oi, love birds!" Both Newt and I jumped away from each other at the voice. Minho gave a small smile as he came towards us. He must've just made it from the Maze. Close behind him was Ben. "Don't worry, we're not here to crash your PDA or goof off." Ben knelt down in front of us, dropping his voice in a low whisper.

"Look, only Alby and Clint know about this besides us, so you can't talk about it with anyone." Ben looked behind him, as Newt and I nodded. When he turned back around he was biting his lip. I leaned forward, a cold feeling spreading across me from how serious Ben was becoming. "The other day, there was an accident with the Builders. Henry, the newest Greenie, accidentally dropped one of those wooden planks onto George's head." My eyebrows furrowed. I knew about that, but why was it such a secret.

"It knocked the shank out cold." Minho added as the end of the day bell rang. I watched briefly as all the boys scattered from their work.

"I could imagine it would, but I-" Minho waved his hand at Newt.

"Yeah, yeah, you heard about the accident, but that's not what we're here to talk about. Ben, continue." Ben sighed as Minho looked around us.

"Since he was knocked out, Clint went to look for other injuries, perhaps on his torso or something since he couldn't ask if anything else hurt and no one really saw what happened. Well, Clint found-"

"What are you guys talking about?" I peeked around Minho to see George standing there. Minho shrugged turning.

"Just, you know, the usual, the vines in the Maze, teasing (y/n) and Newt." George stared at Newt for a moment, squinting his eyes, then he looked to Minho.

"Why would you talk about the vines in the Maze?"

"Because we've all been in the Maze." George's eyebrows furrowed.

"What does that have to do with vines?"

"I-" I interrupted Minho before he could say something stupid.

"There was a patch of the wall blank. He was asking if we had seen anything like it or what we thought it meant. It's nothing serious, George." George's pout seemed like one of a child, the complete opposite of how he had been a two months ago on this same hill with me.

"Promise you're not lying?" I pulled my lips into a line and nodded.

"Why don't you go see if Frypan needs help with dinner? You know he enjoys the company." George smiled softly, but it seemed off. He nodded, turning and running down the hill.

"Did he seem off to you?" Newt whispered once George was gone. He looked at me as I watched George knock on the kitchen door. I nodded.

"That's what I was trying to tell you guys. George doesn't know Clint knows, or that we even know, and we don't want to send a panic around the Glade. When Clint checked him, George had these black veins going up a small portion of his back, but we have no idea what it is. Never seen it before." The mention of the veins felt like cold water rushing over me. Something was wrong with it, but I couldn't remember what.

"Well, what are we going to do about it?" Newt asked, tilting his head. Ben shook his head sighing.

"We can't do anything, George was real paranoid when he woke up, asking Clint if he looked under his clothes and stuff. Clint is scared he might be a little unstable, so Alby just has us watching right now." I hummed, drumming fingers on the ground.

"If he's unstable, anything could set him off, especially-" I perked up.

"Me. That's why you're telling us this, because you're scared something I do might set him off." Newt paused, frowning. Ben looked away from me.

"We're not saying you need to hide away, but you know... less passing by the Builders and sitting on your own, and... less PDA." I nodded, a small blush coming to my face. We were all silent for a few moments until the dinner bell rang. Newt pushed himself up, then helped me up. Newt grabbed at one of my hands to help me walk down the hill while Ben grabbed my other hand. When we got to our dinner table, I barely missed the stare George held as he watched us, his eyes squinting as Newt helped me sit down. I swallowed thickly, darting my eyes away as Newt left to grab our food.

~

"He has never been in the Maze so it couldn't have been from that, but nothing in the Glade-" I waved my hand in Newt's direction.

"Newt, we'll figure it out later, just calm down, alright? Come sleep." Newt sighed, running a hand through his hair. 

"I don't want you to get hurt, I mean you saw him today. He's already been acting off." I smiled at him, pushing myself to sit up in my bed. 

"I'll be fine. Besides, I got you, don't I?" A ghost of a smile passed his lips. 

"I guess so."

"Good, now come here." Newt sighed, letting out a small laugh as he came to the bed, climbing in. I brushed his hair out of his face and curled some of  the strands around my finger. Newt leaned into my touch, closing his eyes as I cupped a hand to his face. I leaned forward, giving him a quick kiss. Newt returned the kiss, wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling me closer to him. When I pulled away, I smiled at him. "Whatever happens, we'll get through it together." I whispered. Newt nodded, placing a kiss against my forehead as I closed my eyes. Soon, I slipped into sleep seamlessly. 

Original Publish Date: August 18, 2016