Fifteen

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

I fluttered my eyes open, blinking a few times to let my eyes adjust to the coming light in the window, then I looked to Newt. He was still asleep, his blonde hair tousled. His lips were parted as he let out soft snores. It had been a month since Minho and Ben talked to us about George, and since then Newt automatically took to sleeping in so we would be at breakfast after George started working. 

I continued to stare at Newt as he slept, studying his dark lashes, the slight slant in his nose, the way the sun lit up his hair a gold as he shifted to push his face further into his pillow. 

"You're staring." He mumbled, a soft smirk coming to his face. I brushed my hand through his hair as he opened his eyes. 

"So maybe I am." I whispered. Newt leaned forward, kissing the corner of my mouth. 

"I do it too, before I wake you up in the morning." Newt admitted as he sat up, stretching. I watched him, the small flex in his arms as he reached up. 

"I think I want to shower this morning." Newt nodded, dropping his arms. 

"Alright. Frypan will probably have out plates set and waiting in the kitchen, so take the time you need. I might take one too." I nodded, pushing myself to sit up. Newt gave me a quick peck on the cheek before crawling over me. 

"You tease." Newt huffed a laugh, grabbing at the stuff I would need in the shower. When he walked past to go put it in my bathroom, he dipped his head down to kiss me. I let a hand come up, gently hovering over his jaw until he pulled away from me. 

"There you go, love." Newt kissed my forehead before continuing to my bathroom.

~ Ben's P.O.V. ~

(y/n) and Newt had yet to show up for breakfast yet, which had become the usual over the past month as Newt thought it would be safer for (y/n) to come to breakfast after George started working. (y/n) only agreed to it because she confessed to seeing the ways George looked at Newt with anger and as if Newt were a meal. Despite their tardiness happening for a month now, George sat across from me, leg bouncing with anxiety. 

"I mean, where are they?" George asked out of no where, shoveling eggs into his mouth. His eyes looked sunken as he looked to me and Minho for answers. 

"It's alright George, (y/n) has a hard time cause of her leg, and she showers in the morning sometimes." George grunted at my response.

"Does the shank shower her?" Minho choked on his food. 

"Does he- No! She can shower herself." George looked at Minho with a straight face. 

"But Ben said that her leg-" I shook my head.

"It makes her move slower, it doesn't make her incapable of moving." George shook his head, frowning and looking far off. 

"What if he's screwing her?" 

"Why would Newt be doing that right now? He's got to be in the garden by a certain time." George rolled his eyes, sipping on water. 

"As if he does it very good at all." Minho and I looked at each other. The work bell rang and George sighed. "That's my cue." He picked up his plate, taking it to the kitchen. I looked over at Minho as he started collecting his stuff to go running. He was taking Justin with him today while Lee and Alec ran through one of the other doors. 

"That was... weird." I nodded. 

"I think he's getting worse." I whispered. "I'll tell Clint." Minho nodded as Justin came behind him. 

"Update me when I get back." I gave him a thumbs up, grabbing both our plates and going to the kitchen to help clean up the dishes. 

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

I slowly dried my hair with a towel the best I could, before letting my damp hair fall flat and beginning to dry off my body. After I finished, I wrapped myself in my towel and walked out into my room. It was easier for me to change in a wider space, rather than a confined one like my bathroom. 

I exited my bathroom, going slowly to my bed where Newt had set my clothes. I unfolded my undergarments, putting them on. I had just finished with my bra when I heard Newt's room door open. I froze, feeling confused. He wouldn't leave without me if it wasn't important. I wrapped myself back in my towel, ready to call out, then my own door opened. In the doorway stood George. His smiled looked hungry as he looked at me, then his eyes trailed the room. I clutched the towel tighter against me.

"Where is he?" I frowned.

"Who are you- get out of my room!" George stared at me, smile falling into a frown. 

"Don't play dumb. Newt! Who else? Where is he?!" George stepped further into my room, voice dripping. "His room was empty, and he wasn't out, so that means he must be in here." George flicked out something in his hold, and I realized it was the knife from by the wall that we use to carve names. 

"Well he isn't in here either. I just showered. Why would he be in here?" George raised an eyebrow. 

"For a little peek, you know, what every man wants. Except me, I'd treat you different." George twirled the knife slightly between his fingers.

"Does Gally know you're here?" I swallowed, slowly standing, hand on my bed to keep myself steady. 

"Screw him. Screw all of them. I try to protect everyone, and what do I get?" George pulled back his shirt collar, revealing the black veins trailing up his chest and to his neck. "I'm sick. I'm going to die, and I'm going to at least take the one shank with me." I gripped onto the bed post, stumbling back as George came closer. I looked to the door, seeing Newt wander his room, slipping a shirt over his head. The tugging feeling came to me as Newt turned. I gave him the slight shake of my head. 

"And who would that be, George?" George laughed and I pressed closer to the door as Newt came walking over. 

"I told you not to play dumb, (y/n)." Newt grasped at the door, ready to turn the corner and talk to George. George smiled, throwing the knife. It missed Newt and hit the door, but George was already unclipping a larger knife from his belt. I cried out, pushing myself to Newt and shoving him so I could close the door. When the door slammed shut, I heard George groan behind me, and then a pain in my leg. I screamed, falling against the door. Newt banged on the door, but couldn't move it, as I was against it. After a few seconds it got silent. I turned as I slid down the door. I saw Ben and Gally standing over George. I looked down at my leg, the same one the Griever had bit into months ago, and I hissed, seeing the knife had gone through most of my leg. My eyesight blurred as Newt slid into my room. I could tell it was him by the way his limp delayed one of his steps. 

"Why would you do something so reckless?! I told you, I told you!" I blinked as Newt came int view, cupping my face. I was slow to realize he was talking to me. 

"I had... He was going to kill you."

"Yeah, and now if you lose too much blood, you'll  be the one dead." I sucked in a breath when Newt gently touched my leg. I could faintly hear him yell about getting Clint and Jeff. When Gally and Ben were gone, he looked at me. 

"Come on, love, stay awake, at least until they get here." Newt gently shook my face still cupped in his hands. I groaned. 

"It hurts." My voice was a mumble as my head drooped and Newt picked it back up.

"I know, but it'll be fine, all fine." Newt's voice sounded hushed, washing over my ears as my eyes fluttered. Newt gently shook my face again, but my eyes were already closed. 

"(y/n), love, come on, I-" I slouched over in his grip, eyes still closed. I couldn't tell if he was still talking to me. Everything was dark as I slipped into unconsciousness. 

Original Publish Date: August 22, 2016