Twenty-seven

~ Newt's P.O.V. ~

I stared down at Alby's body as he struggled against the straps that kept him on the table. I felt arms wrap around me, making me jump. 

"It's just me." (y/n) whispered. Her voice was soft. I let out a tired laugh. We had been staying up to watch Alby. I thought she had gone to sleep, but I was apparently wrong. 

"You need some sleep." I whispered, rubbing her arms as she held me.  

"I can't sleep, not without you there. I tried. I had nightmares." I looked back at (y/n), turning on my stool to face her. She had a tired pout on her face. 

"Alright, I'm coming." I grabbed the handles of her wheelchair and turned it, facing the door. I took one last look at Alby, then I went out of the Med-jack hut.

"What do you think of Teresa?" (y/n) whispered in the dark of the night. I had almost forgotten about Teresa. 

"I don't know. It was a bit weird she knew Tommy." (y/n) nodded.

"Tommy and her seem pretty close, kind of like us when we first met." I let out a small laugh remembering the two of us. 

"You reckon they're partners then?" I could see (y/n)'s nod faintly as we got to the Homestead, trying to keep quiet. We had Teresa sleeping in Ben and Alby's old room. When we made it to our room, (y/n) looked at me. 

"What are we gonna do Newt? The Box won't go down, and we have too many people to feed to have our only food source be the garden." I ran a hand through my hair, sighing as I picked her up and placed her on the bed. 

"I know, I'm... trying not to think of the worst case scenario. I was hoping they only forgot to take the Box down, but the message with Teresa..." I trailed off, crawling into the bed with (y/n). She nodded, moving to cuddle into my side. 

"We'll take it one step at a time. First, we get sleep. Second, Alby. Maybe those shots Teresa brought can help. Okay?" (y/n) held me close. I sighed, nodding, kissing her temple. 

"Okay."

~ Time Skip to Morning ~

(y/n) was still sleeping. I didn't have the heart to wake her up. I had been up for an hour now, and it was almost time for the rest of the Gladers to start waking up. I held (y/n) closer to me, not wanting to get up yet.

Outside, screams and shouts started. I gently moved (y/n) off of me, then I climbed out of bed. The shouts got louder as I ran outside. When I looked up, I realized the sun was gone. The whole sky was as gray as the stone walls, completely blank. I heard mine and (y/n)'s room window open behind us as (y/n) called my name in confusion, but then she paused. I knew by her hesitance she had seen the sky too. 

~

When the sky started turning a dark gray, Tommy, Teresa, (y/n) and I all went to where Alby was in the Med-jack hut. He shook as if he was cold. Teresa stared down at Alby for a moment, then pulled one of the shots out of her pocket. 

"If I was sent with these after he was stung, don't you think they'd be meant for him?" Teresa whispered, referring to what her and Tommy tried to talk to us about yesterday before Gally had taken Tommy away. 

"Are you crazy? We don't know what's in that!" 

"It could save him." Teresa argued, looking between me and (y/n). 

"It could also kill him! We don't know what it is." (y/n) placed a hand against my arm.  

"Newt, I think he's already dying." She whispered. I looked down to meet (y/n)'s eyes. She looked conflicted, sad. "This is the best shot we have." I slowly nodded, then sighed as I looked back to Tommy and Teresa.  

"Fine. Do it." Tommy took the shot from Teresa. (y/n) looked away as he moved forward, gently placing a hand on Alby so he could put the needle in his arm. As soon as Tommy touched Alby, though, Alby gripped on Tommy's shirt collar, pulling  him close. 

"Get the syringe!" Tommy held it out for someone to grab as Alby talked about how Tommy wasn't supposed to be here, that something was wrong. Teresa grabbed the shot from Tommy, then jammed it into Alby's chest. Alby calmed almost instantly, letting Tommy go. Tommy stumbled back into one of the chairs, shaken by what Alby had said. (y/n) rolled over to Tommy, trying to make sure he was okay. All Tommy did was nod as Teresa came to sit with him, grabbing at his hand. (y/n) smiled at Teresa before rolling back to my side. She took my bandaged hand in hers. 

"You think that fixed him?" I shrugged, looking down at Alby. 

"We'll just have to wait and see." (y/n) nodded, kissing the back of my hand. We all waited in the silence. 

Original Publish Date: November 2, 2016