Eighteen

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

I sat by the garden, instructing the Track-hoes on what to do. I watched as Dan helped run things around the garden, fetching certain supplies I wasn't able to get myself. It had been two months since George died, and the same day, Dan had taken more charge in helping me when it came to taking care of the garden.

I looked down, listening as footsteps came up behind me. 

"Trying to sneak up on me?" Newt stood beside me, then knelt down. A smile played along his lips. 

"I couldn't if I tried. I think my limp gives me away." I shrugged, moving my hand in a so-so gesture. Newt looked down at the ground, smiling dropping for a second. I know he had been busier the past two months, as after George's death, some of the Gladers had decided to stay in the Maze overnight, believing they could be stronger than me and survive. Two others were driven crazy by being stuck in the Maze and ended their lives themselves. Alby and Newt had to pull members from each group to make a new group called the Baggers, who had the job of burying the dead while also keeping guard of the Glade, making sure no on snuck beyond the walls. 

"The new Greenie comes up today." I nodded as Newt looked up. "Alby wants you to introduce the Greenies, like you used to." I furrowed my eyebrows, looking to Newt. 

"How would I? I can't barely walk a few steps without being in pain." 

"I know, Alby could do the tour, but... a lot of the Gladers are losing hope being here, so Alby thought you doing something you had once done for most of them would show them to be hopeful. We'll have a spot cleared for you and you can lean over to talk to the Greenie." The alarm for the box started going off and Newt searched my face for an answer. I smiled at him. 

"Of course I will."

~

I was sitting in the grass by the Box, drumming my fingers on the ground, waiting for the doors to open up. When the doors opened, a boy probably the age of twelve or thirteen looked to me from the ground. He looked to be crying, making me falter. Newt knelt beside me, putting a hand on my shoulder as the boy got up, looking around at all of the Gladers. When he looked to me, I smiled at him. His dark curly hair fell over his eyes, which were wide with fear.

"Hey, don't be scared. We don't bite." I told him softly.

"Who are you? Where are we?" The Greenie walked closer to where I was and out of the sun.

"My name is (y/n), and you're in the Glade. Here, you want to come see?" On instinct I held out my hands for him to grab. Newt sent me a look, but I kept my hands out. The Greenie hesitated, then grasped at my hands and I pulled. Newt grabbed at my sides when I slid a little against the grass, and Ben came to my side, helping me pull the Greenie out. The Greenie huffed when we got him out, and I leaned back as he stood. He turned in a circle, looking at everything. I gestured for Newt to help me up. I heavily leaned on him. 

"Do you remember your name?" I asked the Greenie softly. He turned to me, shaking his head. 

"I don't remember anything." He began to cry. I opened up my arms a little. 

"Come here, it's okay." The Greenie walked into the hug I was offering. Newt held me up until the boy calmed down, wiping at his face. By then, the other Gladers were already getting out the supplies out of the Box. 

"You'll remember your name within a few days, okay? It happens to all of us." I softly told the Greenie as as Alby approached. "This is our leader, Alby. He'll show you around, all right?" The Greenie nodded, rubbing at his face again. His eyes were puffy, but there were no more tears. I watched as Alby walked away, talking softly with the Greenie. When they were gone, Newt turned me to look at him. 

"You could've fallen in." He hissed at me. I frowned. 

"He was scared, I was trying to help. I know you guys could've helped him out but..." I looked at the Greenie, now in the distance with Alby. "He's young and probably isn't used to being away from his mom, so I was trying to appear as being a similar comfort figure." Newt nodded, pinching the bridge of his nose. 

"I know, I know, I was just worried you were going to fall in." I smiled, grabbing at one of his hands and kissing the back of it. 

"I knew you'd catch me."

~ Time Skip ~

Chuck was the Greenie's name. He called it in high excitement at breakfast, two days after he came up in the Box. Chuck was quickly decided to be a Slopper, but one who got many of the easier jobs. Many of the Gladers had an immediate soft spot him because of his young age. He was innocent as he looked at us every day, eyes bright. None of us wanted him to lose that spark, so much so that Newt talked to Alby about giving his room to Chuck, as he rarely used it, so Chuck didn't have to listen to the Grievers at night.  None of us wanted Chuck to end up like us at his age. We wanted him to stay happy and sane.

Original Publish Date: August 28, 2016