Chapter 4

Katie’s POV

“Here you go baby.” Brian handed me a steaming cup with green tea and plopped next to me on the couch. He pulled me into his arms with his nose buried in my hair. We were currently alone in the tour bus that was guarded by Zacky and Matt, so no one would disturb us since we had a lot of catching up to do.

“Thank you.” I said and took a few sips of the hot liquid. He kissed the top of my head again but then pulled away to look at me.

“You’re welcome but, Katie, what have you been doing up there? It’s too dangerous.” Brian frowned which made me roll my eyes.

“It’s my job. Besides I’m not up there all the time. I just jumped in for Jules.” I explained but he wasn’t satisfied, if not, even more concerned. Somehow it annoyed me that he played concerned boyfriend when he did nothing to contact me before. No call, no letter, no e-mail whatso-freaking-ever. He had lost the right to worry about me months ago.

“If something happened to you …” He lightly touched my thigh but that just triggered it.

“Something did happen to me, Brian.” I got up from the couch and put the cup on the small kitchen table. Out of nowhere I felt this rage inside of me. How dare he having such an effect on me that I fall back into his embrace at the very sight of him? It wasn’t fair! After all, he did get back with his wife – wife being the operative word here.

“Baby, what …?”

“Don’t you dare! Don’t you fucking dare finishing this question!” I glared at him and even felt the burning sensation in the corners of my eyes. Oh no, I wouldn’t cry. Not now. Not ever. I was done crying. Brian looked at me in confusion, sheer helpless in this situation. Being Mr Y-chromosome himself he had no idea what was wrong this time. I took a deep breath to calm myself and with a sigh I ran my hand through my hair.

“Whatever, Brian. I don’t want to talk about it anyway. What’s done is done. I’m grateful that you saved me but that’s about it. We’ll get this concert over and done with and then you can go back to playing happily married couple with Michelle.” I spat and turned to leave the bus but Brian grabbed my elbow and stopped me from getting away from him.

“So this is why you push me away now? Because of Michelle?” His eyes burned into mine.

“No, because you ate the last chocolate cookie … of course because of Michelle or have you forgotten that you broke my heart all these months ago because of her?!” Angry and hurt I yanked my arm out of his grasp.

“I had no other choice! She would have told you and the cops everything and … I was scared to lose it all ... god, baby I’m so sorry. You have no idea!”

“So you accepted losing me?! Thanks, now I feel fucking special!”

“What other choice did I have?”

“How about fucking talking to me?! I thought we could trust one another! Instead you abandon me, never fucking called and jump back into bed with her!” I called out more upset than ever, now, that I was letting it all out. “On second thought, why wouldn’t you? She is gorgeous and … oh right, your fucking WIFE!” And that’s when I smacked him. Right across the face.

When I realized what I had just done I gasped and then, as if someone opened the locks, tears were streaming down my face. I have never slapped someone in my life before, not even Lenny.

“Brian, I’m … I’m so sorry.” I approached him but he flinched away from me. His eyes were full of hurt, his cheek burning red. With every deadly silent second that passed I felt more awful than ever. I had no right to attack him like this. My whole outburst was overrated and born from hurt, anger and stubbornness. I was acting like a child, not like the woman worth the place by his side.