Chapter 14

Katie's POV

It's been a week since the whole bar incident and Brian coming home way too late the day after. We had been talking about it over breakfast and he had said some pretty hurting things right into my face. But they were true. I knew I had to change myself and my attitude in order to make this relationship work. After all, it was a whole other thing living together, practically seeing one another 24/7.

Nevertheless his words stung and my heart was slightly broken, although I was someone who was able to deal fairly well with critique. But hearing such things from your significant other is still very hard to digest. I mean, we all try to be perfect in the eyes of our spouse, right? Especially us girls want to make everything right, being the perfect angel, to make them proud and fall even more for us.

I have always been someone who tried to make everyone happy. I couldn't deal with people being disappointed or sad because of me. It didn't matter if I had been involved or not. If I had the chance to make them happy, to help and be there for them, I was. A 100%. And if I failed I would beat myself down to no end. In order to avoid those depressing moments I had managed to perfect my handcraft.

Back in Germany, when I was part of the ever growing entertainment industry, I had learned very fast that only someone with a heart dedicated to their work was ever going to be successful. I had managed to become one of the best in Munich but here, in California, I was nothing. Nothing but a burden to my boyfriend.

After Brian and I had talked about it I had made a list of all studios, labels and management and event agencies throughout the city. I was going to be one of the best even here in the states. At all costs I was going to make Brian proud. Unfortunately this was harder than I had thought it would be.

I had a lot of interviews the past week but no one wanted to hire me. Zacky was kind enough to let me help out at VU headquarters – in exchange for standing in front of the camera occasinally – but I wanted to go back to managing bands.

Right now I was waiting for Larry to call me back in. Yes, I had an interview with him and his partners. Desperate much? Oh heck yeah. I was growing tired of this bullshit when his assistant called me back in. With a soft smile I walked back into the office and sat on the chair I had occupied for an hour and half 20 minutes ago.

“Alright, Katie. We have been talking …” Larry started but was interrupted by his partner.

“It was more of an discussion really.” He said dryly which made me raise my eyebrows in surprise. I really didn't see the need for any discussion. I had presented my previous work and showed them what I was capable of. Nevertheless I stayed quiet and looked back to Larry who sighed.

“We have come to the decision that we can't hire you. I'm sorry.”

“What?!” I said in shock. After being turned down so many times for no real reason I was more than frustrated. “Why?!”

“Well, we are afraid that you are too young for this job. We ...”

“Too young? Larry, I might be 23 but I have been working in this business for almost 4 years now. I know how it works. You have seen my references!” I was close to tears right now.

“Katie, really!” Larry said standing. He came around the desk and pulled me out of the office. “I'm really sorry. I tried to convince them to give you a chance but … this was a democratic decision ...”

“Democratic my ass!” I jerked my arm free. “It doesn't even work in politics, now, how is it supposed to work in a company? Tell me, Larry, here and now, why does no one … NO ONE … hire me? My references are excellent, my experience is over the top for someone my age, I'm passionate, dedicated and hard working ...”