•69•

•69•

"How long before you go and get him?" Jake asked as he slid in the booth across from me. It was midnight. I wish I could still be in the hospital by his side, but I knew visitors couldn't stay all night. I didn't want to go home either. I knew once I got in that bed by myself I'd start crying. I didn't want to see my dad because I knew he wouldn't be much help. You couldn't keep him up this time of night if you paid him. Aaron was the same way. Mike was with some girl so I didn't want to be bothersome to him. And Sean had a long day too. I know he's probably with Crystal right now. Jonah wouldn't answer the phone either. I needed someone to talk to and this was literally my last resort.

"Tomorrow afternoon," I replied. "I'll be able to take him home." Jake look confused. "What? He's going home?" he questioned. I sighed then nodded. "Yea, he's going home." I sipped my coffee mug and then rested my shoulders on the table. "Shouldn't he be getting some help? You know, like-"

"Like rehab? I know, but there's no convincing that hard head of his. I try Jake, but he just doesn't get it. He doesn't get how worried I am. Until he understands that then I doubt we'll see any change in him." Jacob sighed. "I'm sorry Lana, I know you care. He'll come around." I shrugged. "I can't be so sure." a small tear left my eyes.

"Hey, don't cry. I know you really love him. And if he really loves you then he'll come to his senses. He knows he needs help. And if he still wants to act like that then what else can you do?" I nodded. "You're right." I agreed with what he said then wiped my eyes. "I'm just not ready to lose him." Jake softly grabbed my hand and looked me dead in my eyes. "You won't. You're so beautiful, smart, caring, protective, loyal...the list goes on and on. He'd be the biggest fool in the world to let you slip away." I smiled a little then blushed. "Thanks, that's sweet of you."

He shrugged then leaned back to his normal position. "Don't thank me, it's all the truth. How you been? Other than this of course."

"I guess I've been fine." I said. "Find another job? A better one I hope." I smiled. "I guess you can say that." he chuckled lightly. "Cool, whatever it is, I hope you enjoy it."

"Thanks, can I ask you something?" he nodded. "Yea, anything." he replied. "When I first met you, you seemed so..so odd. I'm not gonna lie, I heard some things about you that kind of scared me. I just wanted to know if any of that was true." he smirked then picked up a random straw from the table. He started to tap it on the table. "What kind of things?" he asked in a low tone. "Stuff about your..ex girlfriend." he chuckled again then sighed heavily. "If you're referring to some threats and other shit than yea, but I'm not crazy." I raised my eyebrow at him.

He laughed. "I'm not," he sat up and rested his forearms on the table. "I was just..I still am missing her." I frowned. "She must've really had a spell on you." he smirked. "No, not that evil skank...I'm talking about my daughter." I was stunned. I had know clue Jacob had a kid. "Daughter? I didn't know you were a father. Why didn't you tell anyone?" he shrugged. "Y'all never asked." I giggled then rolled my eyes. "Wow, how old is she? Where is she? I bet she looks just like you." he looked down at his hands and began to tap his fingers against the table. "Um she's about a year old now, I wouldn't know if she looks like me because I haven't seen her since she left the hospital." the mood changed quickly.

"What? Why now?"

"I don't know if we should get into that. I don't want to just lay all my problems on you like this."

"Jake, I've been having the worst week of my life. Please just tell me so I don't have to sit here and feel sorry for myself the rest of the night." he looked up and smirked at me.

"Fine. She was a waitress here and we hit it off pretty quickly. I thought she was so sexy. We dated for months on the low then told everybody after some time went on. Then after that we found out that she was pregnant. I was terrified at first, but then I got excited. I was going to be a father. And I just knew that I was going to be the best father I could be. I was going do my baby completely different than how my dad did me. I was gonna love her and encourage her to be the best that she could be. I was going to spend time with her because I know that time, attention, and love are all a kid really needs. Of course I was going to spoil her too though," Jacob paused and his little smile faded. His face went blank and that worried me.

"And then her mother and I split. She called me in the middle of the night and told me she didn't want me anymore. She quit her job here because she claims she didn't want things to be awkward between us. I was heartbroken because I thought her and I had something. But just because we couldn't be together didn't mean that I was going to give up on my baby. Months had gone by and I had been to every single doctor's appointment to check up on my child. Then she called me while I was at work and told me her water broke. I got her to the hospital so fast. Twelve hours later my baby girl was born...her name is Angel."

Then that smile reappeared on his face. "And that exactly what she was. She was my angel. I held her for hours and all she would do was smile at me. She'd smile and giggled and I'd do the same to her." he sighed. "Then shit flipped. Only a day after I brought her home from the hospital, my ex and her mother wouldn't let me see her. They told me to leave them alone forever and that Angel wasn't even mine. I knew they were lying though. I held my baby and I felt the connection you feel when you first hold your own child. That was my baby and I was going to put up a fight for her. I would come over everyday and stand outside for hours until they let me see her. I may have went over board and told them I'd kill some of them to see my baby..but I wasn't actually going to do it."

We both laughed. "Her mom called the cops on me. Spend the night in county for terroristic threats and while I was in there I talked to a sheriff. She told me that I had rights as a father and that I could take my baby mama to court. I had filed a case as soon as I got out, but she was gone before they could even send the papers. Her and her old ass mother left and took my baby. I'm still looking everyday, but it's starting to feel useless. Sometimes I think I should just give up."

"No, your baby is out there and she needs her daddy. She needs you and I know that you'll find her one day. Jake I had no idea. I'm so sorry." he shook his head. "It's alright, only my close friends really know."

"So am I considered a close friend now?" he chuckled.

"Sure Lana."
-
Aww😩 How you guys feel about Jake and his baby? And his baby mama?🤔