Part 29

"Mikey," I stared up at him with pleading eyes. "Just teach me a few songs... please?"

He sighed as he looked down at me. "Fine," He stuck his finger in my face. "But only a couple."

Excitement welled up inside me as I hopped on my toes, clapping my hand together like a five year old. We had only been back home on break for a day and I was already going stir crazy. It had been a long time since I had picked up a guitar and even when I did feel like practicing, it just didn't seem like the right instrument for me. So I turned to Mikey for new inspiration.

I held tightly onto one of Mikey's extra basses and took a seat on the old beat up couch that I had sat on so many times in the Way's garage. I ran my fingers over the strings and strummed it once.

Mikey watched me for a second with an amused look on his face. "To start off with, we wont be strumming chords. If you want to do that, go ask your boyfriend to teach you some songs."

I punched his arm lightly, glaring up at him playfully. "Shut up... He's not my boyfriend."

He gave me a skeptical look. "Yeah okay."

We were both quiet for a few minutes until I broke the silence. "So are you going to teach me or what?"

Mikey smiled and nodded. "Yeah, I am."

***

I sat in my room on the middle of my bed picking the different notes and the few chords Mikey had taught me the day before. I had given him a list of maybe 5 or more songs of theirs that I had wanted to learn. There was a wonderful feeling that built up inside me when I played this new instrument and my persistence to learn these songs only drove me more. I needed something to keep me busy, something to keep my mind focus. I thought learning the bass would be a more constructive way of doing so.

My eyes turned back down to the pieces of paper laid out in front of me on the bed. Mikey had written down, in sloppy handwriting I might add, all the chord and note changes I would need to know for each one of the songs on my list. He also wrote diagrams of each note and chord just in case I forgot how to do them. I think he was just as excited about me learning the bass as I was.

Oh how I loved Mikey Way for being so helpful.